1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

Pulse Guiding

Hi, so with pulse guiding no ST4 cable from guide cam ST4 port to mount ST4 port is required is my understanding? So the guide cam "speaks" to EQmod over USB via the PhD software and that adds or subtracts the regular pulses that get sent to the mount's serial port to drive the mount? Is that right?

Thanks, Steve

Phd determines the duration and direction of the guiding pulse and communicates this to EQASCOM (EQMOD). EQASCOM then implements this 'guiding pulse' by adjusting the rate/direction at which the appropriate axis is moving.

Chris.

Is that adjustment you speak of Chris made through the mounts serial port though? With pulse guiding can one ignore the ST4 port?

Thanks, Steve

Yes, I guide with the method described above as do most of the imagers that I know. I have never used an st4 port.

In fact when I did try to use the ST4 lead/port with a QHY5 (big mistake for me buying that camera) it all went horribly wrong :).

Cheers ant

• Like 1

thanks guys, Chris so I dont have set anything up in EQMOD but do i have set anything in PHD for it to communicate to EQMOD Like how many seconds per pulse and so on

Edited by thommo10

There are parameters in EQMOD that affect how guiding is implemented - most notably the guide rate settings for RA and DEC.

When PHD (or the guiding app of your choice) calibrates it sends out a series of guide pulses and observes the effect - from this it can learn how responsive the system is and can calculate the lenght of guid pulse required to correct a given error.

I did a youtube video on EQMOD guiding:

Chris.

• Like 1

Sorry but I have another question, I have 2 SPC 800 webcams one modded Lx, the other one not, I have been told to use the modded one for guiding but I have also been told to use the unmodded one, I will be using my finder as a guidescope. help!!!

Also can you pick any star as a guide star as long as it is close to the object you are imaging.

Edited by thommo10

Sorry but I have another question, I have 2 SPC 800 webcams one modded Lx, the other one not, I have been told to use the modded one for guiding but I have also been told to use the unmodded one, I will be using my finder as a guidescope. help!!!

The LX modded webcam will allow you to increase shutter time and pick up fainter guide stars. Honestly though, I rarely have trouble finding guide stars with my unmodded one. You do have to be well focused, though. Do this in the daytime or you'll give yourself a major headache!

Also can you pick any star as a guide star as long as it is close to the object you are imaging.

Yep, bang on.

• Like 1