Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Pug

Fixing mobile phone to your scope to make it a push to?

As the title says. Has anyone tried it with any success? I tried to google it without any joy.

The metal ota causes the phone to become inaccurate, tried it myself with a Dob and Skeye.

Works a bit but not enough really

Edited by knobby

I was thinking of making a wooden or plastic arm to hold it away from the tube, just wondered about how viable it was?

the wooden holder is a good idea and may work ok [have found it easier to get a wixey for altitude and a compass for degrees and just use the phone to get co ordinates [stellarium orSKeye]

Probably the way forwards dtr42 but I'm terribly tight fisted!

• Like 1

Probably the way forwards dtr42 but I'm terribly tight fisted!

my god a scotsman in basingstoke :grin:
  • Like 1

I made a wooden bracket to attach my phone to the dob, but it needed to be around 6" away from the tube which caused all sorts of balance issues, and it still wasn't accurate enough. Mark out a setting circle and get yourself a wixey, will cost around £25ish, a decent phone bracket is around £10-15 and even if you get one there's no guarantee you'll get it working, whereas the wixey/setting circle is tried and tested.

• Like 1

Advice taken gents, setting circle sorted for a fiver (I did some plastering for a local printer last year) and wixey arrived today. Just hope the forecast is correct for tomorrow night!