Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thinking of giving it up :-(

claire1985

With chrimbo coming just ask for some dosh towards some bins mate , ppl have offered to meet up , adapt improvise and overcome .I've taken to carry bins when I'm on nights , every chance I get I take a peek skywards.

Tho it's got to happen soon that the boys in blue ask me what I'm gawping at ;)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Binoculars, I discovered last night are better in some cases than a scope. Take Pleiades as example. I fired my 10" into them and saw nothing of interest, same with andromeda galaxy, but get an old broom handle (to save money) rest the bins on there ( get good bins !!) and both look brilliant, as does the moon and you can see Jupiter disk and a moon or 2 !

and they r soooooooo easy to set up :)

I'm not far I'm in west brom. So if we ever go over cosford your happy to tag along.

Thank you! That would be awesome, west brom isn't far from me at all, half hour by bus and that only coz they take the longest route ever.

Looks like I'll be shopping around for some binos :-)

Feeling a tad better after some sleep. Just to add. I do read, a lot, I have numerous books on astronomy and meteorology so I fill my time with that when I can't get out. Xxx

i have several pairs of bino's ranging from 7x50 to 20x50 and they all give great views in their own way.if i could only have one pair it would be the 15x70 light enough to hold for long periods powerfull enough to give some "wow" factor

is your light pollution that bad you can not do anything from home?

As breezy said with xmas coming up ask for some cash so you can get some bins you can even pick up some good second hand on ebay I got a pair of 16x50 for under £10 only 20mins from where I live I drove round there checked them out Optics were good so I was well pleased

Hey Claire, like a few have said, the stars are going nowhere! Just get out as much as you can and take in the beauty that is right over our heads. I am lucky enough to have a scope, but sometimes just lie back in a deckchair and try to take it all in, and when you understand a bit about what is happening out there, it is awe inspiring to say the least. It sounds like you have the passion for astronomy, if not the equipment, so if you enjoy it now, imagine how much you will enjoy it when you finally get some bins or a scope! Try and get out with others on here if you can, have a look though a scope or two, and enjoy the greatest free show there is. Good luck to you.

PS. I had my first good view of Orion again since last winter last night, and it was like seeing an old friend again, didn't look through a scope or bins, but still looked magnificent and huge, and he will be looking down on my garden all winter now, so everything feels back to normal again :)

i have several pairs of bino's ranging from 7x50 to 20x50 and they all give great views in their own way.if i could only have one pair it would be the 15x70 light enough to hold for long periods powerfull enough to give some "wow" factor

is your light pollution that bad you can not do anything from home?

Yes :-( ill have to try and take a photo to show you just what I have to live with, My ideal home Is in north Wales in the mountains lol. Unfortunately that's not an option so I'm stuck :-p xxx

Yes :-( ill have to try and take a photo to show you just what I have to live with, My ideal home Is in north Wales in the mountains lol. Unfortunately that's not an option so I'm stuck :-p xxx

I got so fed up with the London LP I moved, got a three bedroom house with garage and stars for just a tad more than the 1 bedroom apartment without. You never know whats just around the corner.

If I manage to make it over to Cosford (work always seems to get in the way!), I will let you know. Oldbury isnt far from me so I could give you a lift. I've yet to make it over there but really want to this winter.

If I manage to make it over to Cosford (work always seems to get in the way!), I will let you know. Oldbury isnt far from me so I could give you a lift. I've yet to make it over there but really want to this winter.

That would be amazing. thank you!!

Must say I love this site and all it's members!! You've all been so nice :-) xxx

I was a regular on here and last year I managed 8 star parties. Unfortunately since then my area (Rednal South Bham) has become so badly polluted I lost my mojo and sold up. I am starting to feel the pull again but I have turned to binoculars which take a moment to get ready and a moment to put away. It saves the disappointment of setting up and struggling with the glow. I am probably going to go to Galloway again this year but this time just with the bino's, nothing else. If that doesn't get my interest back then there's no hope for me.

It is a bit of a worrying problem going out at night

with a scope.I went over Beachy Head with my

4" refractor & had a lot of cars slowing down to

see what i was doing.I was on my own,and at 63

it does get a bit nervy at times.Never seen a sky

like that before, so it was worth it.

Steve.

It is a bit of a worrying problem going out at night

with a scope.I went over Beachy Head with my

4" refractor & had a lot of cars slowing down to

see what i was doing.I was on my own,and at 63

it does get a bit nervy at times.Never seen a sky

like that before, so it was worth it.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I'm only a 15min drive from Beachy Head but have always thought it would be too windy up there? I'd love to take my 'scope up there and have a look around. Maybe we can organise a night when we can both meet up - safety in numbers...and with me being 'just' the right side of 40 we should be somewhat safer......

Hi Claire,

Binoculars are an extremely good way to find your way around our part of the universe, or closer to home in our solar system.

And we're about due for a bright comet or two.

If you can join a local astro club you'll have the chance to look through some big scopes.

One of my 'hero's' does his observing from his home in Birmingham, Gary Poyner, (British Astronomical Association section leader) THE foremost variable star observer ever,

Has logged over 200,000 observations from his back garden.

All the best.

Pity when things go wrong and the heart is knocked out of the hobby, it happens all the time but you can bounce back. I don't have a perfect night every night I am out and sometimes I have a bummer of a night but I have never thought of giving up. Last night I went out just after midnight and the seeing was good but I still had problems, I think if I had a perfect night i would have nothing to moan about :).

Jim

I totally agree with all the encouraging comments made so far, particularly about getting a reasonably priced pair of binoculars. 10x50s perhaps?

Planetary and lunar observation is very possible from light polluted sky. A very cheap, possible second hand telescope would be of benefit too.

Went to the shop around 6ish last night with my 2 year old daughter, stopped to check out the 2 stars we could see in a gap in the clouds when she turns to me and says " mommy I wanna see Jupiter " my faith has been restored :-D xxx

Went to the shop around 6ish last night with my 2 year old daughter, stopped to check out the 2 stars we could see in a gap in the clouds when she turns to me and says " mommy I wanna see Jupiter " my faith has been restored :-D xxx

Great to hear, looks like you've got an observing buddy in the making.

Archived