Hyperion III 8-24 zoom in Binoviewers?

Has anyone tried using 2 x 8-24 hyperion zooms in Bino's? I've got a set of W/O binoviewers which I use with the standard e/p's and the views through my 127 Mak are great!!

However I'm thinking of getting 2 x hyperion zoom's rather than investing in 2 lots of eyepience sets (revelation or celestron sets for example) as they work out at roughly the same price(ish) and will save me fiddling around in the dark!

I know the hyperion's are quite large but I understand you can remove the eyecups to make room for your nose....is this necessary or will they be okay?

Does anyone have any experience of using these particular zooms in bino's? Or could anyone recommend an alternative?

JOE

P.S. I'm investing in a CPC1100 soon so would be looking to use the zooms/bino's with that.....not sure if that makes a difference?

I've had some excellent advice on recent posts I've made so look forward to getting some more useful responses to this hopefully!!

I've used Vixen zooms to good effect on binoviewers for lunar and planetary viewing. A pair of Seben 8 - 24 zooms at less than £50 would work well on your scope. :smiley:

Apparently the only thing Seben have ever made that works well for the price is their zoom EP's.

Two 8-24mm zooms for about £50.............................

could well be worth a punt.

The Hyperion zoom is great......................but damn that is gonna be expensive.

Zoom eyepieces will indeed work in most binoviewers...keep in mind the physical size of the zoom-eyepiece..the amount of adjustment on the binoviewers...& the distance between your own eyes...& always make sure they are on the same X.mag as each other

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Meade 8-24 zoom ep's for my WO bv's, imported from the states they would cost around £120.

Im drawn to the hyperion zooms because they are click stop and would be better suited to making sure both zooms are equal mag in the bino's. Not sure the Meade zooms are clickstop are they? Would be ideal if they are as they are smaller..... and cheaper by the sounds of it!

Lack of clickstop can be a problem when using binoviewer as slight difference in magnification may cause problem. Some people reported problem with binoviewers even when both eyepieces were identical in model and focal length, but small manufacturing differences between individual eyepiece was enough to disrupt the brain's ability to form a single image.

Archived