Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

FarSide

Them nights be cold.

I always find that when i'm wearing gloves i just cant find purchase on anything; anything small and it's on the floor. Those country gloves look darn warm though.

As pointed out in previous posts, depending on where your located, wind chill could be the crucial one to insulate from. Other than that frequent hot drinks and snacks such as nuts / raisons with high calorie intake are good for keeping the core body pretty insulated. Then of course there is the option of a quick run around or a few star jumps around the observation site - just dont knock over any equipment!

mmm, ski trousers theres a thought. ive just ordered a cheap trapper hat from amazon under a fiver.

Edited by rory

bunch o jessys lol.........

i was out the other night for quite a while wearin' just a tshirt jeans hoody nd sneaks (must admit tho' a was a little chilly! lol

Skiing sallopets, Helly Hanson top, fleece, buffalo jacket, fleece hat, buff (mucho important) two layers of socks and coffee.

Toasty as a toasty thing from planet toast.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Skiing sallopets, Helly Hanson top, fleece, buffalo jacket, fleece hat, buff (mucho important) two layers of socks and coffee.

Toasty as a toasty thing from planet toast.

Oh Yeah. .. Radio 4 xtra as well - cos I'm feeling old.

• Like 1

My natural, cultivated layer of blubber forms a perfect barrier to the cold. Damson gin while optional is pleasurable and warming.

Cheers,

Steve

also you do not want to exceed what I call CSM (critical sock mass) by putting too many pairs and restricting blood flow to feet, makes them feel colder

• Like 2

It's all high fashion here! Not! I wear thermal long johns and vest, long sleeved top, trousers, fleece,

hat, gloves, UGG boots and a coat that keeps me warm to -10 degrees so I'm nice and warm. It takes me so

long to get ready though that I lose the want to go out sometimes!

• Like 1

This will be my first winter with a telescope, I feel already that i may have to stock up on some warmer threads if i'm to be staring intp the cold night sky ;)

bunch o jessys lol.........

i was out the other night for quite a while wearin' just a tshirt jeans hoody nd sneaks (must admit tho' a was a little chilly! lol

You come from Cornwall, you guys have freezer units down there to try and cool the place down!

Dewliner boiler suit, good for -40c, £40 from army surplus, Karrimor 4 season walking boots, thermos of black coffee!

0 degrees out tonight. First time this "season" that it's gotten that low. Crunchy grass and sparkly shed roof to boot. Looks lovely by the light of the moon.

What a fashionable lot we are!

I can see Vogue editors and Gock Wan itching to get their hands on us!

• Like 1

Skiing salopettes is what I'll be wearing when it gets really cold.

Had our first fall of snow here in Powys yesterday........

Lol i don't think Vogue would at all be interested in bobble hats, North Face fleeces and coats and fur lined workman's boots. You never know though, we may start a new astronomers fashion.

Lol i don't think Vogue would at all be interested in bobble hats, North Face fleeces and coats and fur lined workman's boots. You never know though, we may start a new astronomers fashion.

It's a good job nobody can see us!

Thermal base layer (x2 if it's really cold); good quality fleece; sheepskin lined hat; gloves; and a lovely down jacket from the chaps that make them for Rannulph Fiennes (PHD) - I reckoned that Rannulph Fiennes, apart from being a complete nutter, probably knows a thing or two about trying to stay warm.

I'm glad astronomy is done in the dark as we must look a pretty strange bunch in our various outfits :)

• Like 1

I wear a merino wool base layer & Buffalo six shirt. These are really warm.

Then if I'm out longer than half an hour and its well into minus temperatures, I put a North Face down parka over the top.

Hands: Gul helmsman gloves

Legs: Ski trousers with braces from Decathlon

Feet: Hiking boots & wool socks

Head: woollen hat

So far,this lot has kept me warm all the way through to dawn, no matter how cold it gets.

Im going to have to invest in some proper boots, thinking of my old work safety boots for now, i wear them when its icy as theyre good gripping lol. Otherwise i just pile on the tshirts and jackets.