Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good starter DSLR

mikey32shaw

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gina posted a link for some 1100Ds on ebay that were less than £200 (body only). They're US models, but I get the impression she's happy with the ones she's had. I'll see if I can find the link.

James

Nice one James will take a look with a brew after walking the dog, also Carl been checking your Nikon D5100 out too.

Thanks all.

The Nikon D5100 is a beast for it's price. I lacks the star eater, the unmodded one picks up more IR than it's canon buddies, and the DX sensor flagship the D7000 isn't that much better than the D5100. THe only thing it lacks is a built in AF motor, so for non astro work you will be limited to AF-S lenses with their own focus motors.

But Canon still sports a better library of software for astro-work, and you might have to solder your own RS232 cable unless you want to use a Timer Remote for setting up exposures longer than 30sec.

The advantage that the Canon cameras have over the NIkons is the software that's available to work with them. For example, there's APT and BYE which can run exposure sequences automatically and display the live view for you on-screen. PIPP and DSS understand the Canon RAW file format and can process them directly. I have a 450D and it used to be that I'd only touch the camera when I was initially aligning it with the target. After that I do everything from the laptop because it's just so much easier. You can get really fussy with the focus and framing when you can manage the images with the laptop and it all helps get better images.

I have no idea which is the better camera technically I have to admit, but I'd definitely advise making your decision with a broader view of how you're going to use it.

James

I meant to qualify my "it used to be..." sentence there :)

I've recently bodged a red dot finder to fit the hot shoe. I've not tested it yet, but I'm hoping that when I'm using a camera lens rather than a telescope I'll just be able to point the RDF at the object I'm after and then do everything else with the laptop.

James

Right then i like the idea of the software available and the 1100ds do look reasonable plenty to think about and more bad news to break to the Mrs :icon_scratch:

No no no, you've got it all wrong. It's good news. If you'd bought it from, say, Wex, it would have cost almost £300, so you've not spent £200, you've saved £100 :)

James

I meant to qualify my "it used to be..." sentence there :)

I've recently bodged a red dot finder to fit the hot shoe. I've not tested it yet, but I'm hoping that when I'm using a camera lens rather than a telescope I'll just be able to point the RDF at the object I'm after and then do everything else with the laptop.

James

what a brilliant and simple idea James. Gotta give this a try when I get the chance.

Scott

You really need one with Liveview, so anything from the 450D onwards, secondhand ones are within that price range, or the 1100/1000D,s are great cameras, both of them have live view and being quite modern the noise isn't to bad, plus they can both be had for under £300 new :shocked: ................thats each, not for them both :wink:

Well Jammo, you don't really need live view, I never use it for focussing even though I have it on my 1100D and this is because it only works with the brightest of stars. I personally prefer to get focus as best I can though the view finder, then take a 5 seconds exposure with a Bahtinov mask over the scopes aperture, then zoom in on a star to check focus, and repeat if required. I generally only need 3 cycles of 5 second exposures until I'm focused. Obviously don't listen to this if you like doing planetary work with DSLR's as I've heard liveview is very good for this. Nothing wrong with the good old 350D and less than a ton from Fleabay:) I've just bought a second one for 81 pounds! thinking about a dual imaging rig in the obsy?

The 1100d is a very nice camera. I use it mostly for daylight shooting but the few times I've used it, even with only a lens, it give good results but I must admit I've only had it about 18 months and I already want an upgrade.

Archived