Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

List of Jupiter Moon Transits 2012-2013

username

Hi all,

I was out on the 28th October (Sunday) waiting for the Great Red Spot to appear on Jupiter. As I was watching the GRS move across the disc I noticed what I thought initially was a speck of dust or defect in my eyepiece. My initial panic subsided when it moved and I realised I was watching a moon shadow transit! :)

So I was treated to 2 events that night but it's been annoying me that I didn't know what moon it was. I'm having trouble setting up Stellarium to give me reliable data (I have location, altitude and time set up correctly) for Jovian event predictions.

I much prefer a bit of paper anyway and I found this on Sky and Telescope web site; it gives the start, midpoint and end of all Jupiter moon events. Hopefully someone will find it useful if you haven't found it before

http://media.skyandtelescope.com/documents/JphenTab2012-2013.pdf

According to this it was Europa masquerading as dust! :D

They really are beautiful sights and Sunday was very nice.

Sunday was amazing! The seeing wasn't too bad either meaning I was getting moments of quite a lot of detail in the belts. I was concentrating on that when the Europa transit surprised me.

If you haven't seen it yet, you may also like Sky and Telescope's Java Script which plots the moons within minutes of each day.

Or use "WinJupos" or "Jupiter 2" both of which are freeware.

'Jovian widget' is a nice little Android app.

3760210-1320664561870.jpg

Thanks for all the software tips, saves a lot of time. Faster than getting stellarium sorted. I've printed out an A5 booklet of the pdf to go with my planisphere for the times when I don't feel like turning computer on (I get allergic to them after work :) ).

Archived