Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double cluster in Perseus

blinky

Not 100% happy with this one, the focus was not bang on. This image was taken with the SC1 ToUCam, Atick 0.5 reducer and Neodymium filter. 60 exposures of 12secs, racked and stacked in K3CCD. Oh and this time I remembered a dark frame! 15X12secs.

I reduced the size by half so that the focus looks better :lol:

image.jpg

I would agree that the focus is a little bit off, but even so, it doesn't really detract from what is quite a nice image of the 'double cluster'.

Have you thought of making a Hartman Mask, to help you with the focusing. I use one on both my imaging and guiding scopes.

Doesn't need to be anything fancy, as a piece of stiff card, given a coat of Blackboard Paint (also helps protect the card from dew), is all you need.

Just about to make one for my new 12" scope. I went along the 'Staples' to get some card, and came across some black Foam Board. Quite stiff, very light, and looks ideal for the job.

Dave

I dont usually have too much problem getting good focus. I used the ZS66 for this but last night was the first time I have used the focal reducer as well. Where as before the image would appear to SNAP into good sharp focus with the reducer in it was very hard to get the image sharp.

I did think about a hartman mask but as the aperature is only 66mm I did not want to cut down on aperature too much.

I will give it some thought, as you say it is very easr and cheap to make so might be worth a go.

Thanks for all the replies :D

I have just made a hartman mask. Took the end off the ZS66 (dunno what it's called but it unscrews from the end of the scope) anyway.....One piece of cork tile and a stanley knife later :lol: A hartman mask with 4X16mm holes in it, now if only I had some clear skies.....Suppose thats asking a bit too much though

Craig

Good pic. You can see the orange giants in the larger cluster :D

Cheers

ian

Just before I started imaging the webcam dropped out of the backof the 'scope. It landed on the grass and when I started imaging and saw these great big orange blobs I thought I had some dirt in it :lol:

I don't know what sort of 'mask' you'd call that Craig, as a Hartman has three holes in at, at 120 deg spacing.

The two hole version, is not a Hartman either, but is known as something else, however I recall its name.

Dave

Nice result on the DC Craig. Such a treat object visually, but I sometimes wondered where a lot of the stars had gone whenever I imaged it.

That was way back when, and using slide film 400 ASA. I will re visit h & x when I finally get cracking in the digital age.

I'm afraid I have been falling victim to concentrating too much on equipment, instead of just looking at the sky. Although the poor weather is a good excuse too.

Ron. :lol:

Archived