Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Helen

Anyone for South Wales??

Just wondering whether there's any interest in organising a S Wales meet?? I'm in the Rhymney Valley, but prepared to travel, if anyone's interested in a get together.....??

Helen

That would be easy for me - I've the choice of 2 bridges and possibly a barrage in a few years time (I live in Portishead on the opposite side of the Severn from Helen).

John

i would be interested. have a heavy and unplannable workload. live in bristol. just worried about "scope envy" as husher and jahmanson kit is way above my own SW mak127 and a few eyepieces.

i would be interested. have a heavy and unplannable workload. live in bristol. just worried about "scope envy" as husher and jahmanson kit is way above my own SW mak127 and a few eyepieces.

I'd love to have a look through a 127mm Mak - I've never tried one before :lol:

John

Another Bristol lad here. Camped by Almondsbury :lol:

I'd be interested, but young family commitments restrict my traveling etc. for the momment.

James

Looks like it would make more sense for me to come to Bristol! No problem :lol: Any suggestions for a venue?

Helen

Hey guys,

I know that at the University of Glamorgan (Rhondda Cynon Taff) there is a good base for astronomy, second year students do an 'Exploring the Sky' lecture and go observing throughout the uni year at night. I am sure that if anyone lives nearby then they would be welcomed by them to participate.

They also have public lectures on a monday (the first of every month, or thereabouts) evening at the main campus in Treforest, usually by Martin Griffiths and Chandra Wickramasinge (who worked with Sir Fred Hoyle!)

Alongside this then there is an observing telescope onto of the 'G' Block building which is open on a wednesday night (when it's not cloudy-which it always is!)

Hope this helps

Hi, I'm pretty sure that Glam Uni also have observing nights on the rhigos mountain, which is closer to you Helen, and Cardiff Astronomical hold sessions at the Castle heights golf club above Castell Coch which again is not too far from the valleys.

Phill :D

Where is the Rhigos mountain?

It's been too cloudy recently for observing in the valleys, I can't imagine Cardiff Uni having much help either as Castle Coch is just past Taff's Well and the light pollution is horendous around there.

There is a place near Brecon which Uni.Glam students sometimes use. Its on a hill to the west of the hamlet called Libanus.

Rhigos is North west of Aberdare... there's a cracking bit of road that goes over the top to the Rhondda Valleys, fantastic views over the Brecon Beacons from there in the day, never been there at night though...

Helen

Depends which route you take Ron :D By the spectacular route (which goes up and down every valley escarpment) it would probably be about 5 hours (and that's without allowing for all the camera stops if the weather was good!). By the trunk roads I'd say 30 minutes to Swansea and an hour and a bit from Swansea to Pembroke Dock. So not exactly local!

Helen

I'm in Bridgend Helen, and just starting with astronomy, i think glam Uni use one of the car parks toward the top of the Rhigos (on the A4061 between Treherbert and Hirwaun) on a friday night but weather been really cloudy as you well know, so not sure when they'll be there next. Pembroke Dock to rhigos is about 85 miles Ron so a good 90min drive. 8)

Cardiff Astronomy society have an "observers club meeting" on the last Friday of every month at Castle heights golf club, Tongwynlais ( just off M4 jctn 33). Members of the public are welcome, so how about some of us meeting up there one month? There are observing sessions weather permitting or just chat and help and advice if too cloudy? Just an idea.... what do you think?

Helen, the Heads of the Valleys Astronomical Society meet in Ebbw Vale the third friday of every month, sometimes talks, demos and if the weather ok a little bit of stargazing, I'm in the process of writing up their web space, watch thsi space for more info, or message me if you'd like to find out where.

iv'e been thinking about putting a post on here asking the same, i live in newport and only 20mins from the castle heights golf club where the cardiff astro club meet,(will go one night when free) so a meet with some "locals" would be great, i still have a lot to learn, i guess the farther up the valleys you go the better the dark skies would be, but i believe the breacon visitor centre is a popular place if not to far, but i'l let you lot decide, i will travel for good company and dark skies.

If i could sort something out and enough people are intrested i have a sister who got a farm in st davids, west wales, very dark skies and looking out over the irish sea, i could arrange a meet here, possible camp (summer) or just a day/night, from me in newport it's a 2hr drive, but the sky is well worth it.

But above all count me in for a local meet

hi im in bargoed im a member of cardiff astro socity we meet at golf course in cearphilly reg, they also have an obsy in penarth ,there is also a place called darren park nr Deri which is a dark area ,

im a newly started member of usk astronomical socity.

i no where cwm darran park is driven past many times in my asda van!