Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_peoples_choice_2018_winners.thumb.jpg.d8ce9c6569dfc2f48814f6d87da46170.jpg

Hi all,

Alright, I'm already thinking about new eyepieces, and I've only had my Skywatcher 200p (EQ5) for a couple of weeks now. The scope came with a 10mm and 25mm EPs and a 2x barlow. The scenes are just great, but I'm thinking about getting another eyepiece to add to the collection. After reading some things on here, I'm thinking of stumping up for an 8mm Plossl thing, something like this: http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/TeleVue_8mm_Plossl_Eyepiece_1_25__.html

But at £78, it's a little more than I wanted to pay out for. (However, Father Christmas is getting ready - perhaps he's already wrapped one up for me!)

Can anyone give me any hints before I shell out? Any other (cheaper?) alternatives that are just as good?

Oh, the other thing is that I wear glasses - so eye relief might be important?

Thanks

MrP.

I really wouldn't go for an 8mm plossl with glasses MrP. The eyerelief just isn't there. My eyelashes touch the lens of my 12.5mm plossl if I blink.

If 8mm is your target focal length then look into a 7 or 9 mm Celestron X-cel from FLO

I would also suggest an 8mm BST but they've been removed from Alan's ebay site, presumably out of stock.

I'd go for either a Celestron X-Cel or a TMB Planetary type eyepiece (http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20eyepieces.html), they both give adequate eye relief for glasses :).

But, this is only if you have something like astigmatism with your eyes, if you don't (and only have short or long sight), this can usually be compensated for by focus on the scope :).

HTH

Or freakishly long eyelashes like me! lol

Form a queue ladies...

• Like 1

Fwiw, I have the 9mm x-cel lx, and I can use it with my specs on. I found even a 10mm plossl uncomfortable without my glasses.

I too don't think I would bother with the 8mm plossl. The 8mm BST Starguider I think would give a much better performance. I love mine and it gets lots of use especially on planets. Also these ep's are a steal at £47. Good luck and clear skies.

and my suggestion for planet work will be a 7mm circle T orthoscopic from glen at Lyra optics, very sweet, if not this ep i would suggest the BST 8mm from alan

• Like 1

TV have a 10% off offer at present the TV 8mm is £78 from Green-Witch with 10% off that means £70.20 just in case it is specifically a TV that you wanted.

An alternative plossl is the Vixen fron FLO, however as people have said plossl's have drawbacks at the shorter focal lengths.

With many others I suggest the BST from Sky's the Limit, if none on the web site then email Alan and ask if he actually has some or when he expects them to be available again. For the same eyepiece (BST) it is sold from Telescope Service as their 1.25" ED Eyepiece for 74 + 6 Euro so 80 euro which is £64. I would ask Alan first as the cost difference is quite a bit.

I've said this before but here goes ... Bst . Now I've not had the benefit of using some of the other makes listed but , going by many many threads on here about ep's they certainly seem to be the best in the 40 to 70 squid bracket , and I'm biased cos I have a couple . Give Alan a buzz or email and I'm sure he will point you in the right direction

Lol would have helped if I had pointed that out in first place , random Alan's may get phone calls ;)

IMO forget these pretty costly 1st plossl upgrades & first off try an Astroboot 8-24 zoom (actually I think its prob 7mm-23mm in use) £25 almost new cond: vg optics generally (Im pretty sure its on a par with +£50 plossls, min) v solid quality, eye relief is v good/ none of that peeping thru a pinhole 8mm nonsense, and a wider field of view too. Bit of a lump and v edges of view are not perfect (it is a zoom) but hey imo you cant go wrong. I just use this- all my EPs inc a 8mm & 32mm plossls are redundent.

I wear glasses but not when observing, so eye relief is not an issue for me. My EP'S of choiCe is the Vixen NPL, but they dont offer good eye relief to people who wear galasses.

The BST eyepieces compare very nicely to the NPL and offer better eye relief and cost about the same so for a person who observes while wearing glasses...........i think the BST are the way to go.

Please someone correct me if i am wrong.

Lol would have helped if I had pointed that out in first place , random Alan's may get phone calls ;)

I did check before posting

Wow - thanks for all the replies chaps. Seems I got the wrong end of the stick - I was sure that the 8mm Plossl was the way to go, but it seems that no-one would recommend it at all!

So votes cast were:

1. 7/9mm Celestron X-Cel - 4 votes

2. 8mm BST - 7 votes

3. others - 3 votes.

I had heard of the BST, but not the Celestron. I think I'll go for the 8mm BST for now - thanks very much for all your help.

SkysTheLimit - do they offer a discount for users of this website? :-) (worth a try!)

MrP.

Another vote for the BST's! I have just had an e-mail off Alan and he is expecting a delivery of 8mm mid-November.

• Like 1

SkysTheLimit - do they offer a discount for users of this website? :-) (worth a try)

It would be a nice gesture but alas, no! They do have a very good returns policy if you don't like / get on with the eyepiece.

Another vote for the BST's! I have just had an e-mail off Alan and he is expecting a delivery of 8mm mid-November.

Sounds great - thanks for that!

There's nothing wrong with the 8mm, its just uncomfortable. I even think orthos of a similar length are easier to use, like my 6mm volcano top.