Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10" Portable Truss Dob for Skywatcher mirror set

Moonshane

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you used a sander on the ply, if so make sure your test piece is sanded in the same way, stain can look different when you've sanded by hand or if you've used a sander. I'm sure your aware of it though. Looks good by the way.

Gary.

drilled two more sets of holes in the mirror box on Sunday, allowing variable alt bearing positions and as a result the scope now balances with no movement even when changing at horizon level from a BGO to a 26mm Nagler. Also tonight I tried out the scope to have a final check on the balance and focus points in action. it's all go for final prep and finish!

I'll be going with the walnut colour and possibly a black stain with two clear overcoats inside the mirror box.

cheers! I am currently putting on a few layers of hard wax oil to the many different bits of the deconstructed scope. I have applied the tinted one and will be applying the clear topcoat shortly. I also have a black stain for the inside of the mirror box. then it's a matter of rebuilding and testing, making a truss shroud and fitting a fan and it's complete. by the end of the weekend I should be more or less there but would like to let the wax harden off for a week before the build. it's starting to look pretty nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Photos, Photos :grin:

as requested!

had a busy week, completing the finishing and this weekend, making the shroud, cleaning the mirrors, fitting it all together. the end result - nice!!

list of jobs done:

added side retainers (teflon) which prevent sideways movement of the mirror box

cleaned mirrors and any finish residue from the bearings

fitted mirrors, spider, focuser

flocked the UTA liner

made and fitted the light shroud

added fan and power source

fitted rubber sheet to bottom of groundboard feet

fitted whole thing together

at the start of the weekend I had a minor hitch in that I took a chance on the width of the finder board. I have to fit a Rigel Quickfinder and a 9x50 RACI finder and under-estimated the width of the Rigel which was on back order from FLO. I ploughed on with the finishing to find that when the base arrived I could not find a way to fit both finders on. There was nothing for it other than make a new finder board. This needs finishing now but I am on with that and it will be done over the next few days - bit of a pain but it will be a better end result.

I am very happy with the result. The scope moves really well and fits together nicely etc.

Here's some rather rushed pics in my lounge.

post-5119-0-10859100-1359916930_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-28380500-1359916950_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-02228600-1359916995_thumb.jp

hi Gary

The finish is really nice with the polyx oil but I had to do a few more coats and thicker than I'd have liked but it's a great product.

I think when I do my next one, I'll use a standard water based stain and the polyx clear satin I used as a topcoat. this worked very well with the black inside of the mirror box. the end result will be very similar but I think the time taken will be greatly reduced.

the pics don't really do the finish justice. I may take some more if I have chance in due course.

the shroud was made from lycra which works extremely well.

cheers

Shane

hi Gary

The finish is really nice with the polyx oil but I had to do a few more coats and thicker than I'd have liked but it's a great product.

I think when I do my next one, I'll use a standard water based stain and the polyx clear satin I used as a topcoat. this worked very well with the black inside of the mirror box. the end result will be very similar but I think the time taken will be greatly reduced.

the pics don't really do the finish justice. I may take some more if I have chance in due course.

the shroud was made from lycra which works extremely well.

cheers

Shane

You sound you've got something planned? What were you thinking? :angel:

That's what I tend to do if I'm staining timber, use a water based stain with the polyx oil or any other spirit based finish, that way you don't remove the stain when applying the finish.

That's the beauty of making things youself you learn something new which makes the next project not only easier but better.

The lycra looks good just leaving enough to the imagination.........I wonder what it looks like without it! :tongue::shocked::wink:

Ahhh, Moonshane.....the telescope looks absolutely stunning! Wow! It has such a beautiful design and with its deep, naturalistic tone, I feel it would look equally at home in the living room as out in the field. With all honesty, the Moonshane 10" f/5 is a joy to behold, fitting to all equirements - portable yet with outstanding aperture, solid and sturdy and aesthetically pleasing. A truly great work of art, Shane and something you must be very proud of :headbang:

I'd be extremely interested to hear your feedback on its first light when you get the weather and time; to hear your impressions of this beauty. I appreciate that getting acquainted with a scope can take months, even years but with your experience and expertise, it would be nice to hear your first impressions.

Anyway, I really am happy for you, Shane. You have just gone and built a unique telescope, the only of its type in existence and surely something to care for, love and cherrish for life. A big salute to you :icon_salut:

If anyone is interested there is a 10" mirror set in astroboot at the moment. I think its £134 with cell and spider.

Simon

This was too good to turn down, so I didn't:D If I can find a suitable 11" tube say rolled ali then I will be making an upgrade to go on the NEQ6, if not I will be building a Dob , I just hope I can make half as good job as Shane has, you should be very proud its fantastic!:)

Archived