Narrowband

televue plossl or carl zeis jena 0.965 orthos

foffof

Which of the two eyepiece i s better for planets- televue plossl 11 mm or carl zeiss jena ortho 0.965" 10 mm. I read somewhere that televue plossl is better than czj ortho and has greater contrast, is that true? Is there significant difference? For which objects in the sky is better televue and for which czj? Thanks!

I usually hear people rate CZJ better than TV plossl, with the CZJ having better contrast and resolution. They often group the CZJ with Pentax SMC ortho in the second tire group just below that of the ZAO, TMB Mono and Pentax XO. BGO and TV plossl are grouped into the third tier.

However, I agree with Bender about the risk of buying an expensive secondhand eyepiece that's 30 years old. The performance difference between a top tier ortho and a second or third tier ortho is marginal under most condition, the ageing could erase this lead, Personally I'd go for the BGO instead of the TVP for its greater eye relief.

The CZJ orthos are fantastic! Don't be put off by their age or the fact they are 0.965 fit.

Excellent control of light scatter with great light throughput, these are factors that are very important when planetary viewing.

Just make sure there are no issues with the ones you purchase.

The CZJ orthos are fantastic! Don't be put off by their age or the fact they are 0.965 fit.

Excellent control of light scatter with great light throughput, these are factors that are very important when planetary viewing.

Just make sure there are no issues with the ones you purchase.

..i agree with this..but then i would! :wink:

I bought a few for my Telementor but then sold them in the end, the 4mm went for 340 £ on ebay ! the non existent eye relief made it impossible to use for me, but it seems someone begged to differ :)

The others go for 150 - 200 (not sure if pound or Euro), unless you talk about a rare one, 8mm or 12mm

Archived