Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I picked up an older CG-5 mount and tripod the other day for $50. It's in good shape, just a bit dirty. The Dec axis moves freely with the clutch loosened, and drives very smoothly with the clutch tight. The RA axis drives very smoothly with the clutch tightened (bear in mind this is a totally manual mount), but is stiff to move with the clutch loosened, and has a couple of spots where it is very slightly "notchy" when it is turned. How can I loosen this up, to make hand-skewing to a target easier? It has no polar scope, no big deal, and has provisions to add tracking motors, but I doubt I'll do that. I bought it to have a simple, grab-and-go mount to throw the frac or C6 on to look at the moon, etc. It's usable as-is, it tracks nicely with the worm drive, but I'd like to get it back to its "former nights of glory" condition.
I think it may be as simple as re-greasing the bearings, but I'm not sure what I need to do to take it apart. There is a collar that has two small holes for a tool like a circlip plier, located underneath the RA setting circle ring (at the bottom, where you'd insert a polar scope), looks like that has to come out to break the RA bearings apart.
I have a Celestron 8" with CG-5 Mount that I purchase about 14 years go. I have not really used it much since due to family and work pressures but as I am close to retirement I am re kindling my interest in Astronomy. Over the years I have lost the polar scope an have been attempting to purchase a new one. My local astronomy shop had what looks to be the correct one in stock bit it would not fit. I Tried both the CG4 and CG5 polar scopes but the tube is too wide. The polar scope for my old mount must be thinner than the later ones. I have contacted Celestron but they can't help. Does anyone know what the problem is or where I might obtain one for the older mount. If not are there any other methods for performing polar alignment without using the polar scope. I have heard of some software that does this but only with GT mounts. I would eventually like to do some astrophotography but it appears that polar alignment is critical for good results.
My current set-up for imaging is basically attaching my Atik One 6.0 CCD onto an 80MM F6 Triplet 80/480 Altair Scope which sits on my CEM60 mount. I am very happy with this set-up and find it very easy to use . I am now hoping to add another scope / camera to this to speed things up, and wanted to check that what I am planning on doing makes sense. So, simplest option to me is to add another 80MM F6 Triplet 80/480 Altair Scope and a one shot colour (OSC) Atik 460EX CCD camera. I will then be able to use the new CCD to take all of the colour shots and the Atik One 6 to take luminance / narrow band shots. It is my expectation that combining all of these images it PixInsight should be 'relatively' straight forward?
So, does this make sense and if it does I have a couple of quick questions: -
1. What would be the best way to attach the two scopes to my mount? One option would be to sit them on top of one another, the other would be to use a dual saddle type of thing? Which is best, and hopefully balancing will not be too much of a problem as the scopes should be of pretty similar weights.
2. How easy will it be to run two Atik cameras, three if you include the Akit GP guide camera, off a single laptop computer? It is a pretty decent computer, but do I risk confusing it too much as it will also be doing the autoguiding via PHD2?
Obvious other question is is there anything else I should be considering
Comet ISON - Friday 15th November, over Bakewell, England. This is (roughly) 15x1 min subs in each of RGB and 7x1 mins Lum with my Takahashi FSQ85 / Atik 460.
Tracking was done on the stars and the images processed separately - in DSS for the comet and Neb for the starfield. (DSS produced a disappointing result in it's 'stars and comet' mode).
I then processed in CS5 using a layer mask technique to blend in the comet over the starfield. It took a fair amount of processing but am pleased with the outcome, and even managed a few Virgo faint fuzzies.
Thanks for looking,
I've previously posted a bicolour version of IC 410 but the other night I managed to captured some SII data so what follows is a Ha / OIII / SII narrowband rendition of the Tadpoles.
Usual set-up for this kind of thing (CG-5 mount, Atik 460ex, Atik OAG / IMGOH / PHD), but the Ha was captured with both my TS90APO and FSQ-85.
Ha 25 x 600s
OIII 23 x 600s
SII 29 x 600s
The different fields of view from the twio scopes were reconclied in RegiStar, stacked in DSS and processed in AstroArt 5 and PhotoPlus X4.
The first of these is what dropped out of the processing, the socond has had the stars tamed by blending in a layer that has had teh AA erosion routine applied. Then followed endless tinkering to try to get the result to look okay on SGL! I've no idea why but images that look fine on my desk top take on a green or magenta hue when posted on here. Maybe part of thr problem is that I don't really like to leave the sky really black as I don't think it looks natural... but on this one I've gone pretty dark!
Hope you like it! I feel like I've got some good data here; in fact I think that this is the first time I've had decent data for all three channels. It probably has more to give but I am pleased with this .
Thanks for looking.
Higher quality version of the above here.
Higher quality version of the above here.