Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

BenConway

Best Software to Get

Hi guys, was wondering what software you suggest i should get. It can cost any amount. Please dont suggest software you don't have.

Many thanks

Ben

i use windows 7 soon upgrading to windows 8. I do all types of astronomy. By the way i have installed windows xp, vista, 7, 8 onto the computer so i dont need to worry about the operating system.

Many thanks

i use windows 7 soon upgrading to windows 8. I do all types of astronomy. By the way i have installed windows xp, vista, 7, 8 onto the computer so i dont need to worry about the operating system.

Many thanks

Sorry cant help in that case as i use OSX :(

do you want to image with your setup? if so with what camera or ccd? planetary or DSO imaging? again different software. I wouldn't update to windows 8 just yet as most software and hardware drivers have only just caught up with windows 7

Image acquistion ? processing ? plantarium ? telescope control ? planning ? playing games ? You need to be more specific in your needs, otherwise we cannot help.

• Like 1

i would like to image with my setup but i also use the telescope for visual use. I do dso and planetary. I use dslr cameras.

Thanks

i am just looking for all software, i will use it for planning, imaging, telescope control, processing and Image acquistion. Planetarium software is not really required but if it good then let me know.

Thanks

i live in quite an urban area around Barnet in London. I have altaz but i have also got an equatorial mount. Anymore info required guys

So which scope are you using on which mounts; makes & models and what sort of imaging are you interested in ? solar system? DSO's?

Stellarium,,,Its free

Deep Sky Stacker...Its free

Registax....Its free

Sharpcap...Its free

C2A...lts free

Gimp...Its free

They all have help files....to get you going....

Nice piece of kit, wish I had one of those....need to keep start playing the lottery!!

What EQ mount do you have?

For deep sky AP you will need to use an EQ mount rather than the altaz and probably a much smaller faster scope than the LX200. Which DSLR are you using? Have you modded it? Canons are much better supported than others for astro use. I use APT to control my DSLR camera. You need to add autoguiding as well. PHD is a great package to run an ST80/QHY5 combo.

hi i have an astro engineering eq mount.

Do you mean an equatorial wedge to convert the LX200 AltAz mount for EQ use?