Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Uranium235

IC1848: Soul nebula mosaic (Ha)

Friday was a pretty clear (if cold) night, and I wasnt quite sure what to go for given it was almost a full moon. So I decided to have a go at the soul nebula as its something Ive largely ignored due to its size, but having picked up some experience with mosaics this year I decided it was worth a shot. All ive managed so far is 90min per pane, and its still a bit noisy in the corners but im sure more subs will improve that situation. It could also do with a 4th panel to the left, so it looks like another long slog - especially if I want to put colour into it. Im seroiusly mulling over getting another ST80 just for speedy narrowband work, lol... so Im slightly regretting selling mine earlier in the year! (doh!)

Wasnt really sure what would come out as ive never seriously attempted it before, but here goes:

IC1848: Soul Nebula

12x450 (Ha), 3 panels

ED80 (0.85x), Atik 314L+, NEQ6

Setpoint: -15

No calibration (yet)

Thanks for looking :)

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=75778

post-5513-0-26633900-1351437321_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thats a cracking image, can't wait to see the colour version.

nice one.!

What yo need is a bigger chip, I think I managed this in 2 panels :grin:

Good start there, nice and smooth.

That's looking like a very nice Ha capture, Rob :)

Hope you don't mind, I had a quick mess with your image to see what it might look like with my colour. The answer is a bit messy... but colourful!

gallery_5051_1849_208412.jpg

Edited by Shibby

You've got some great detail in there - Agree that you need a new camera with a bigger chip!!!!

Cor blimey Lewis, that looks pretty good. Though I am viewing on the phone @ the mo :)

Wish I could afford a bigger chip, the only one that would fit the bill is the 460. The thought of having to take darks with a 383 is what put me off that camera.

It would still probably be cheaper to double up on what I already have. But no chance of that with xmas to pay for, and im still in need of a new laptop. Ive been looking at samsung with the amd a10 cpu and dual gfx chips, not bad for a shade over 500 squid. It should pass as a gaming platform and be speedy with the astro processing.

That's looking like a very nice Ha capture, Rob :)

Hope you don't mind, I had a quick mess with your image to see what it might look like with my colour. The answer is a bit messy... but colourful!

Just had a look on the PC now, looks pretty good other than needing more Ha subs to sharpen it up and a reduction in star sizes on the RGB layer. Depends on how you processed it (blend Ha with just red, or blend Ha with L and R).

Ive just spotted FLO doing a deal on the ED80.... cor blimey, it would feel rude to say no. Maybe that lappy can wait until after christmas ;)

• Like 1