SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Well I had a fairly productive night under the stars despite the almost full moon!

Started out learning some new techniques for my DSO imaging, drift alignment with Metaguide etc... and gathering data on M57 until the unscheduled clouds rolled in for a laughs!!!

Went to bed and set the alarm for 03:00 this morning when Jupiter would be in position for an image run... Got straight into it with the ExtQ, then I decided to try to see if I could increase the amplification of the ExtQ by adding a short extension tube and guess what it worked... This morning I calculate that I had about 1.9x instead of the 1.6 times magnification and you can clearly see the diference in the image set attached below.

All image runs were 2000 frame @ 30 frame / sec using Firecapture and the DMK21 USB camera.

post-3011-0-31843000-1351433592_thumb.jp

Also, I now have a Celestron Ultima 2x barlow on its way to me from the UK, so when I return from my business trip, weather gods permitting I can push the Mewlon harder.

I hope yo like the set, everything has been processed in the normal manner. However, I'm going to have a play with A2!S this afternoon to see if I can make any improvement. Your tips / suggestions are welcome?

PS it great imaging the planets, I can post the result the next day, with DSO I have to wait sometimes a month to complete the image!!!

post-3011-0-74007000-1351444473_thumb.jp

Been having a play with AS2! (AutoStakkert2) this afternoon and have produced the above image.

It's good, but I think its a little softer than the images that have been processed the normal way with Registax 6. Still, perhaps I'm not adjusting the right parameters yet!

I'm interested to know what stack sizes you are all working with? I'm collecting 2000 frames for processing which is approx. 600MB. The detail is increasing but so is the noise!

So when the 2.2x Celestron barlow goes in I'm worried that the noise will become too much?

Nice scale on that last image was that 1.5x drizzle?

To be brutally honest you need a lot more frames. At that focal length you can easily take 4 min avis without any noticeable rotation blur so at 30fps thats over 7000 frames of which you could be stacking at least 2000-3000 then you wont have any noise issues.

Nice scale on that last image was that 1.5x drizzle?

To be brutally honest you need a lot more frames. At that focal length you can easily take 4 min avis without any noticeable rotation blur so at 30fps thats over 7000 frames of which you could be stacking at least 2000-3000 then you wont have any noise issues.

That what I appreciate, its the only way to improve, right... Now I'm just worried my Laptops going to have a heart attack... 2000 frames = 600MB so 7000 must be getting on for 2.5GB???

How much data would you capture in a night? Because at that rate I'm going to need an external harddrive!!!

(Sorry - yes it was with the 1.5x drizzle turn on)

Archived