Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion MK III 8-24 Zoom EP Jammed

I was out last night and when using my Baader Hyperion MK III 8-24 Zoom EP I found that it had jammed - it turns between 8 and 12mm but I can't turn it back any further than that.

I've had a look at it this morning and can't see anything visibly wrong with it but it really is stuck - anyone had this problem? I'm a bit loathe to take it to pieces - if I'm honest I don't even know HOW to take it to pieces!

Any ideas/ advice?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been an issue with these , I had one the same ( it freed up for a while when place on a radiator ) , I returned it to my supplier who swapped it for a new one under warranty

I would suggest you try the same

Morning Major - Oh sorry Afternoon Major - there were a few threads placed on here a while ago - seems a common problem - my first one jammed - sent back and replaced - must say the second one I have - the "motion" when turned, feels a lot smoother, had it a while now and seems to be fine - but like everything to do with Astronomy your kit only gets used on clear nights, but the supplier will replace it if its still under warranty, don't try and take it apart, I think these zoom eps are very intricate inside I think. Paul.

Yes, the guys and gals at FLO will do their best for you, I was lucky in the respect that I bought my zoom from a local supplier - so when it seized, I just phoned them and they said pop it into us and will get it sorted, had to wait a couple of weeks, then they said that they were going to give me a replacement - since getting the new one, its been fine and the action on rotation seems a lot smoother than the old one, stick with it Major it'll get sorted. Paul.

Sale of goods act says that an item should last for a reasonable time, so 12 months is not reasonable, it should be repaired or contact the local trading standards office and ask for their help.

I would expect/hope Baader would be falling over themselves to sort these problems.

Please let us know what happens.

There has been an issue with these , I had one the same ( it freed up for a while when place on a radiator ) , I returned it to my supplier who swapped it for a new one under warranty

I would suggest you try the same

Interesting. I think the grease/lube they use is a bit too thick?

To be fair Trading Standards are not going to put resource into the odd claim , they have much bigger fish to catch. The first question they will ask is if you have had any contact with the supplier.

Trading Standards.....why even bother them?. Nowt to do with them.

Its an issue between the supplier/retailer and the customer.

I bought mine from FLO. If i have an issue with myzoom EP then i will contact FLO

Sale of goods act says that an item should last for a reasonable time, so 12 months is not reasonable, it should be repaired or contact the local trading standards office and ask for their help.

I would expect/hope Baader would be falling over themselves to sort these problems.

Please let us know what happens.

the sale of goods act basically covers you for 5 years, i have used it a few times, got a full refund on a 4 year old tv from qvc once i proved it was a manufacturing fault (cost me 20 quid) and 3/4 of my money back on a washing machine that was 18 months out of gaurentee (which i then replaced the mother board from ebay for 20 quid and fixed it), flo have a great reputation and i`m sure you would not have to quote the sale of goods act at them since this is a known problem, they can then raise the issue with baader and not be out of pocket themselfs (i assume they come with 12 month gaurentee so you`ve passed that but for the cost of the unit it is far from a reasonable time) i have been considering a hyperion zoom myself but the multiple problems have put me off so i`m thinking of ordering a meade 4000 zoom especially since i can pick one up from the states for £50.

I emailed FLO on Sunday evening and Martin has replied already asking me to send it back for them to look at - Absolutely what I expected from them - that's why I buy from them!

You bought it from FLO?.

Fine. They will see you right.

The one thing in my experience of using FLO, is that their sales and after sales is second to none.

I really dont buy from anyone else.

These things really do not like the cold, mine jammed early this year during the near freezing conditions. It was just within 12 months warranty and the replacement does seem a lot smoother between the clicks but as yet not been tested in the cold.

If I did have a problem with the replacement, not sure where I'd stand. Does the 12 months warranty apply from the replacement being issued or the original faulty item purchase date?

Understand that the respectable sellers would likely replace anyway but it just makes it more straight forward if it's within warranty than entering a discussion on 'reasonable' expectations allowing for normal wear and tear.

Due to it's price and the fact that these items should be designed to cope with winter conditions, it should'nt be too much to expect these zooms to last for a good 5 years or so......

There's been an awful lot of comments on here about Baader's QC, which does seem suprising for what you'd expect from such a manufacturer.

Edit: just to add, I've never had a problem with the Naglar 3-6mm zoom and just as well at the current RRP!

Returning the BH zoom for a refund would be tricky as I'd probably have to replace it with a min of 2 EPs (the 8, 12, 16, and 20mm clickstops are always in use) and have a serious EP case rethink as there's no room for +1 :grin:

I was reading through the sales gubbins on the mk3 lastnight. I was under the impression that very little had changed from the mk2, but apparently they had quite a massive internal overhaul. Zoom mechanical parts were made grease-free with tighter gears etc, it was all made air/watertight for terrestrial use, a number of changes to how the lenses were fixed and fitted... I reckon it's that grease-free construction that's doing it, most likely weak gears getting worn quickly, creating play and eventually jamming on each other when teeth no longer line up.

Despite all the complaints, i still quite like the idea of getting one.

To be fair Trading Standards are not going to put resource into the odd claim , they have much bigger fish to catch. The first question they will ask is if you have had any contact with the supplier.

Trading Standards are heap powerful medicine. A while back I bought a watch online - on arrival I didn´t like it so sent it straight back. The seller refunded me the price of the watch but NOT the postage to me - point blank refused although the UK distance selling regs said they had to. A quick word in the shell like of UK trading standards worked instantly.

I would think FLO will be able to sort it for you, but if anyone ever does have a problem with a Baader product, as I have, you will not find a more responsive and helpful company when their products are in question, I have had items replaced free of charge, there is no harm in asking even if it is out of warranty, as I did some time ago :)

John.

just ordered a zoom today got a meade 4000.......60 quid delivered from the states, they`re suppossed to be fairly good so at a 1/4 of the cost of the hyperion thought it was worth the punt

Too late for lots of us who have bought Hyperions, but i await your report on the Meade zoom. Meade is a pretty tight company so i think the zoom should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this

I contacted FLO and Martin asked that I return it to them which I did last week - they then emailed me back and said it was unrepairable and that they would send me a new one which arrived this morning!

As ever, fantastic service from FLO - no questions were raised to the fact that it was 16 months old - no hassle - just good old fashioned customer service

Thank you Martin and all at FLO

Archived