SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gina's Observatory Roll-Off-Roof Automation

Gina

I was originally thinking of connecting the limit switches via Schottky diodes to the RPi, then I did some lateral thinking and realised that if I used analog inputs for the limit switches on the Arduino I could use RPi GPIO lines directly if they were ones with an internal pull-up to 3.3v.  The other RPi input from an Arduino digital output will have to use a Schottky diode as logic 1 is +5v on the Arduino.

1091017808_LimitSwitches03.thumb.png.a4bef40156c174c45daad29600d10394.png

Initial assignment of Arduino Nano pins.  Digital inputs from the 3 push buttons and rain detector, analogue input from Current Sense from motor driver and 2 digital control lines for motor power control.

1094390605_LimitSwitches05.thumb.png.51fed7a240149b08abbd8c1748b38cd6.png

Edited by Gina

Been checking the RPi GPIO lines and have found 7 that can (or do) have pull-up resistors.   Since I want 6 that is fine.  I shall have to check that any of these have predefined functions that are run on power-up before the code is applied.  The 3 remote control lines don't actually need to be pulled up which may be helpful as there are many more GPIO lines that are pull-down.

I think the Nano can go on the RPi HAT which would save using a separate stripboard and make connecting easier.  It is also safer as it would virtually guarantee that the same Gnd is used for both (as long as I wire up the HAT correctly).

The lathe spares have arrived so I shall probably get the lathe working today.

LATER...  Replacement layshaft timing pulley and key installed, motor drive timing belt on and lathe working.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

This table shows the GPIO pin PullUp or PullDown state on Power-on.

GPIO# Power-on Pull Alternate Functions Header Pin
2 PullUp I2C1 SDA 3
3 PullUp I2C1 SCL 5
4 PullUp   7
5 PullUp   29
6 PullUp   31
7 PullUp SPI0 CS1 26
8 PullUp SPI0 CS0 24
9 PullDown SPI0 MISO 21
10 PullDown SPI0 MOSI 19
11 PullDown SPI0 SCLK 23
12 PullDown   32
13 PullDown   33
16 PullDown SPI1 CS0 36
17 PullDown   11
18 PullDown   12
19 PullDown SPI1 MISO 35
20 PullDown SPI1 MOSI 38
21 PullDown SPI1 SCLK 40
22 PullDown   15
23 PullDown   16
24 PullDown   18
25 PullDown   22
26 PullDown   37
27 PullDown   13

Here are my thoughts on the RPi to Nano connections :-

1. SDA and SCL (GPIO 2 & 3) have 1K8 pull-up resistors I've read.  The relatively low value should help reduce interference on the lines to the limit switches.  These could connect to A7 and A6 on the Nano.
  2. The control lines from RPi to Nano can be GPIO 22, 23, 24 and be wired straight across to A5, A4, A3.
  3. The Schottky barrier diode can go to GPIO5 and D13.

That keeps the connections as short as possible and all on the near side of the Nano.

According to my earlier posts on 31/01/15 in this thread, I turned the chain groove in the large pulley on my lathe but ATM I can't work out how.  The pulley will fit in the lathe but there's a problem getting any tools far enough out to cut the groove.

Edited by Gina

While I do have a larger lathe the ridiculous cost of international postage would make a complete mockery of any savings from DIY.
Besides, the very low price of plastic pulleys online means you rarely need to get involved in any lathe work.

I usually make such things from three flat disks and simply bolt then together into a sandwich. Birch ply is a favourite material and lasts well.
A jig saw or router set no limits on disk diameter. Sand the disk's circumferences smooth if you like them to look a bit posh.

Scrap metal aluminium is another possibility if you have the tools to work it. Power woodworking tools will cut aluminium with the correct metal cutting blades.
A messy job but leaves your mark for alien archaeologists to ponder such strange human activities after THE RESET. :wink2:

• Like 1

I think I'm wasting my time with the lathe.  This pulley is too big for this lathe!

I'm going for a 3D printed pulley.  This is 130mm OD with bore to take a pair of 8mm x 24mm x 8mm ball bearings

227363022_Screenshotfrom2019-08-1615-55-50.png.06f37986e75adf45a65845a7abd968a5.png

969920300_Screenshotfrom2019-08-1615-54-51.png.4649e474e68d8ca5b24b2eff62c45c1a.png

With the improved weather I've been able to take the pulley out to the observatory and check it.  Fine for diameter but a bit too wide a groove so have adjusted the design and about to print another.