Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Mike73

16" Sumerian Canopus

I think I just found a reason to save harder :-)

I actually like the smaller ones - nice and transportable.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Umadog on this forum has got a 10" or 12" Sumerian travel scope, have a look at the 3rd pic on the main page of the Sumerian website as I think thats his at the Grand Canyon star party.

I think it depends on just how easily you want to transport a scope, my 16" weighs 12kgs less than a 12" Skywatcher and it can all be carried at once. For me this is a big plus point as I find nothing more frustrating than observing from a car park only to have some boy racer full beam you in the middle of an observing session, much better to walk 50-100m away and have a nice quiet session IMO. :)

Looks awesome. Pardon my ignorance but what is the shovel-like appendage on the secondary end? Something to do with balance?

that will be a light shield which blocks the 'open view' behind the secondary.

I think it depends on just how easily you want to transport a scope, my 16" weighs 12kgs less than a 12" Skywatcher and it can all be carried at once. For me this is a big plus point as I find nothing more frustrating than observing from a car park only to have some boy racer full beam you in the middle of an observing session, much better to walk 50-100m away and have a nice quiet session IMO. :)

Completely agree Mike, If I could lug my 12" Skywatcher further away from my car and into a more secluded area, on occasions, I would not feel as intimidated by the reason you have stated, after all it is not myself I would be concerned about but the expensive kit around me.

The scope looks fantastic and a very thoroughly considered design, and like everyone else I look forward to your first report.

Just out of interest where did you commission / source the shroud from?

Just out of interest where did you commission / source the shroud from?

Thanks Iain.

The shroud was made by Heathers Shrouds, just hope it fits!! :grin:

Wow Mike!!, that's a simply stunning piece of kit, congratulations mate. Really looking forward to your first light report with that baby.

Canopus arrived safely yesterday and first impressions are very positive!! :)

The first pic shows it broken down ready to put in the car, I tested it for size earlier and it fits in the boot of my Astra nicely.

One nice little touch is that the mirror box, rocker box and secondary cage all locks together for transporting around so nothing will slide around and get damaged on the way to a dark site.

Second pic is fully dressed with shroud ready for observing. Some heavy showers about today but I managed to assemble, take pics and get it back inside in 12 minutes.

Very happy with my new scope but I'm going to hold back on the review until I've had a few sessions with it under some dark skies. :)

post-20821-0-24569400-1351862290_thumb.j

post-20821-0-42993100-1351862297_thumb.j

• Like 6

That looks stunning. I am quite envious. I look forward to reading more about this scope in the coming weeks and months.

Clear skies,

mike,just to echo what others have said. thats looks fantastic. so compact yet so mahoooosive at the same time. may you have many years of joy out of that scope.

looking foward to your reports and of course sketches.

:icon_salut:

Mmmmmmmmm. Just told SWMBO that I've just found my ultimate scope. She is now very eorrief:-)

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

"Wow!" Just isn't enough :cool: congrats on your new beauty.

Stupid question: how do the boxes and struts fit together?

"Wow!" Just isn't enough :cool: congrats on your new beauty.

Stupid question: how do the boxes and struts fit together?

The trusses connect to the mirror box and secondary cage by hand bolts.

This is my first truss dob and it really is quick and easy to put together. :)

The trusses connect to the mirror box and secondary cage by hand bolts.

This is my first truss dob and it really is quick and easy to put together. :)

Excellent - thanks Mike! Hope you get first light soon :cool:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MikeODay
      Carina Nebula with the bright unstable star Eta Carinae in the centre of the image.   edit ( 27 March ):  Tweak to shadow levels to bring out more detail and also a slight reduction in the brightness of the highlights.  A much larger version ( 4562 x 3072 6062 x 4082) is available on my Flickr page.     previous version:   Carinae Nebula ( NGC 3372 ) ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )   From Wikipedia ... "Eta Carinae is a highly luminous hypergiant star. Estimates of its mass range from 100 to 150 times the mass of the Sun, and its luminosity is about four million times that of the Sun." This HDR image is constructed from 12 sets of exposures ranging from 1/8 sec ( to capture the bright centre of Eta Carinae ) through to 240 seconds.  Total exposure time around 13 hours   17-19 March 2018     Image details:   Objects in image:
        Hypergiant, Eta Carinae ( HD 93308 ) in the centre of the Homunculus Nebula
        Carina Nebula ( NGC 3372 )
        Keyhole Nebula
        Open Star Clusters:
          - Trumpler 14, 15, 16
          - Collinder  232
        Field of view ..... 59' 18.2" x 39' 56.0"
      Image centre ...... RA: 10 45 01.762  Dec: -59 40 52.87
      Orientation: North is up   Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ). Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x. Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7   Mount: Skywatcher EQ8   Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2   Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)   Location:
      Blue Mountains, Australia
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )   Capture ( 17, 18 & 19 March 2018 ):
      12 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/8s to 240s ) all at ISO250.
      ( 181 x 240sec + 10 to 20 each for the other durations )   Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 12 sets
      HDR combination   Pixinsight March 2018
    • By MikeODay
      Open star clusters Trumpler 14 & 16 and Collinder 232 with the Carina Nebula a very colourful backdrop

Eta Carinae and star clusters Trumpler 14 & 16 and Collinder 232 ( please click / tap on image to see larger ( 1632 x 1632 ) and sharper image )
      The stand out member of Trumpler 16 is the unstable hypergiant Eta Carina ( just to the left of the Keyhole Nebula ).
      A larger ( 3264 x 3264 ) version of this image can be found on my Flickr page.
      Capture and processing details can be found in this post.
    • By Monolith man
      Greetings, I've been involved in amateur astronomy for many years, and recently had the opportunity to purchase this starfinder scope from a gentleman who purchased it New in 1997. The scope has been unused for a ling time and was showing signs of neglect. He lost interest and just wanted to get rid of this and a meade 10" scope.so I picked them up for a pretty reasonable deal. The scope also came with the Meade magellan  ll system, which had never been installed. One of the encoder gears had been broken. I have since installed the system, cleaned up the mirrors, repainted the tube inside and out, beefed up the mirror mount, and the spider and replaced the bolt that holds the secondary with a larger one, and put larger secondary adjustment screws. I also added a cooling fan to the mirror mount. The mount is solid on this beast, and has no problem carrying the weight of the optical tube. This was about the first part of july. Since then ive not been able to take it out for a try due to the monsoons here in Az. Its rained nearly every day, so needless to say i really cant wait to see what this scope can do. I named it the Monolith. I believe the name fits. Any of you buffs out there have one of these scopes? If so I'd like to hear from you.
    • By MikeODay
      The Eagle Nebula Messier 16 ansd Open Cluster NGC 6611 in the constellation Serpens.

( click on image to see larger )

M16 is around 7,000 light years distant from Earth in the Sagittarius-Carina spiral arm of our Milkyway galaxy and may be part of a larger structure that extends to and includes the Omega Nebula ( M17 ) in Sagittarius.
      Details:
      Eagle Nebula - Messier 16 ( IC 4703 ), Open Clusters - NGC 6611 and Trumpler 32.
      RA ~ 18h 19'm45s
      Dec ~ -13deg 46' 20"
      Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian telescope.
      Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount.Orion 80mm f5 guide scope and auto guider - PHD2.
      Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector, UHC-S 'nebula' filter.
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified).
      Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.
      ISO800, 14bit NEF, Long Exp. NR on.
      35 x 180sec (1/3 before & 2/3 after zenith) 17 July 2015.
      PixInsight re-processed 21 Aug 2016..

Links:

https://500px.com/MikeODay
      http://photo.net/photos/MikeODay
    • By todd8137
      Hi all not very good at gramma so stick with me ,Well I got the 16" reflector nearly a month ago and tonight was the first real night after the group meet the other night we spotted the primary with the ,
      Catseye Hotspot & 4"-32" Centring Template (thanks FLO ) and set the secondary and job done . This dob sits at just over 6' 9" tall ,man handling it is a dream with the fear of god in me I took it all down the garden around 17:00 and checked colamination .
      I got out around 20:00 after a bit of family time and it being clear as a bell
      M42
      This was a dream I first had a look with a 32mm plossl and it was just about all in very clear and the detail was unreal even a hint of greyish green and that's no joke theta 1s all 4 easily seen and sharp the nebula it's self was very nice the arms as I call them left and right were like a pair of wings ,the hook on the right of the neb was very prominent I switched to the 18mm celestron x cell lx the detail just got better and this ep gave me more detail and structure in the nebula
      NGC1980
      This was great to view easily seen and just south of the main neb am sure I see a fuzzy patch of neb around this all star bright and sharp.
      M35
      This again 25mm celestron e lux plossl and 25mm celestron x cel lx gave me a mind boggling view of this cluster I love it one of my faves I could see orange blue -ish ,white ,orange stars,very rich and deep diamonds do not describe this it was like seeing it for the first time again spent around ten mins looking at this ,
      Orion's Belt
      Just panning around with the 25mm was great very rich in stars in the field of view
      M1
      Very easy to find 25mm again a nice fuzzy shape very clearly a stretched oval shape and not much else to say
      M94
      The Rigel finder made this usually faint fuzzy easy tonight no structure as it was low and around 21:30 by this time a small round fuzzy did not tale power well 25mm was the best view
      M82 Bodes
      This was the best I have ever seen and there was structure this time 18mm xcell lx the cigar shape had me screaming nearly the left side had a faint star in it ,I convinced my self it was the sn but new it could not be .faint detail in the centre and almost lines cutting through the whole of it M81 also,looked like a swirl a centre fuzzy with what looked like faint swirls just around it outstanding again
      I saw lots more stuff as well but do not want to drone on as you have seen them all before I had a few niggles,about dew ?,none at all ,not a bit at all .which was a relief as I have no idea how I would get rid of it.
      Home made shroud worked a treat made out of two camping matts and flocked at the bottom I brought two meters of spandex which a neighbours got busy with her sewing machine and made it a double piece with Velcro I may upgrade the whole scope with this .the campo,BG matts did not effect balance.
      The Rigel finder took a bit of getting used to and finding the right angle was hit and miss to start with but soon got the hang of it .its small and compact size is just right.
      Over all I am truly blessed to have purchased this scope and many of my fears of it's size and big mirror are gone I hope it stays clear every night as it's got so more to give .
      Has I said excuse my gramma and thanks for reading
      Pat

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.