Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

ismangil

How to mount Meade type finderscope bracket to vixen style shoe?

Acquired a used finderscope, only for the bracket dovetail to be different :

post-12989-135125428966_thumb.jpg

Any ideas on adapters etc?

You will either need to replace the Vixen / Synta shoe on your scope with the Meade one or get a Vixen / Synta bracket for your finder. The latter, or something very like it, can be found here:

http://www.scopesnsk...om/prod/41.html

You need to check that your finder will fit though. I have a sneaking suspicion that Meade finders are a little fatter than Vixen / Skywatcher ones. If so then putting the Meade bracket on the scope might be the only option.

I could only see the mount shoe clearly in the picture and that is exactly the same one the Meade and Bresser scopes use. I thought the StellarVue F50B2 came with a Vixen / Synta mounting option ?.

Yes, the bracket and shoe is Meade. I think the previous owner mounted it that way on his Meade, instead of getting the SV bracket/shoe.

I've hunted for a solution to this problem for ages. The only option I came up with, but never followed through on, was to take it to a machine shop and say 'make me one of those'.

The only reason I persisted and spent time looking, was that the finder scope (a Bresser made one) is one of the nicest I've ever found and it was an odd size so wouldn't fit other scope rings.

Eventually I ended up fitting the finder shoe to my C9.25 as the hole centres matched perfectly, so the Meade shoe with a Bresser finder now sits on my Celestron scope. Hey ho!

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Having tried the shoe properly, the curvature does fit my tube exactly, perhaps because the meade was 8" as well.

So I think I will just replace the shoe. Rather more drastic than I would have liked, seems worth it though.

The Baader one probably. Seems pointless though as I already have the shoe, just need to figure out whether I drill new holes or just use some other sticking method.

The downside, apart from the hassle, is that less finders are compatible with the Meade-type base than are compatible with the Vixen / Synta one. This would only be an issue should you wish to change / swap finders though I guess.

The downside, apart from the hassle, is that less finders are compatible with the Meade-type base than are compatible with the Vixen / Synta one. This would only be an issue should you wish to change / swap finders though I guess.

True.

Or maybe I can fashion a wooden or plastic shim to adapt the narrow dovetail, make it wider.

Time to buy the 3D printer :lol:

Ok so instead of buying a 3D printer :o I ordered the design to be printed from Sculpteo.

Here's the result, from the notification email:

post-12989-135221110985_thumb.jpg

Ordered on 31 Oct, printed today 6 Nov.

I'll update it when it arrives...

Ohhhh.... Cool:-)

Edited by earth titan

Ohhhh....

Didn't know you could buy printed items on the net but thinking about it, it makes sense. !!!!!

Was it expensive? If not I can see a few projects coming.

This particular model is small, about 6 cm3, cost 8 euro + 4 euro shipping.

There is probably a cut off point where custom metal shop even will be cheaper.

Once I check the result I will post the model file.

The model has now arrived!

Details on my G+ post

I was quite happy with it, espeially this is my first 3D model ever :p

could you upload the model file - I may be in  a similar position and needing such a conversion.

thanks

Neil