Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's it like near Newquay?

JamesF

It being half term I have the indescribable thrill of spending a few days a couple of miles inland from Newquay starting tomorrow.

I see there's a suggestion of clear sky on at least one night, albeit a smidge on the bracing side, so can anyone tell me if the sky is a total disaster area that close to Newquay, or is it worth me "negotiating" with my wife over the inclusion of a telescope in the luggage even if it is at the expense of the kitchen sink?

James

I couldn't personally say. What I do have is a google earth plugin which shows LP for the uk. With that you can see you location, street names etc and get an idea of the likely level of LP.

Good luck, sorry I can't be more help.

Living near newquay i often head that way for a quick session (on the way home from work), head no more then 5 miles out of town in the direction of perranporth and all is good. You may consider avoiding viewing in the north to east direction to avoid the newquay lighs if you want to view eastwards (Jupiter)then head the other side of newquay fror example st.mawgan. I hope this helps any questions please ask

If you are slightly to the north of Newquay there is a beauty spot called Bedruthan Steps. Our astro club had a meeting up there last weekend and the seeing was apparently brilliant. Also there is a National Trust car park set back some way from the minor road that gets you there and so there is good hard standing and plenty of room for setting up. Google map :-

http://maps.google.c...=15000&t=m&z=12

From what I can see of the forecast it should be good Friday and Saturday night. Good luck

Apparently we're going to the Hendra holiday camp just to the east of Newquay. From google earth it looks very close to the town, but the views to the south and east appear to be fairly clear.

James

I know Hendra Holiday park but cannot remember what the lighting is like on site. You are right in that you will have unobstructed countryside to the south and east and also to the south west if you can get a viewpoint. The main LP hazard will be Truro to the south and Camborne/Redruth to the south west, but they will be at least 12 - 15 miles as the crow flies.

Well, as it turned out it was a complete wash-out (almost literally). Total cloud cover on Friday night, a fair bit of cloud cover on Saturday, combined with near full moon and lots of light pollution from the caravans, then an absolutely biblical deluge last night.

James

Blimey James - that's good weather for Cornwall :grin:

I'm starting to believe it :)

We visited Morwellham Quay on the way home, which is on the banks of the Tamar (where the "Edwardian Farm" television series was based). The tide in the Tamar looked fairly slack, but there were flood markers on some of the houses marking the highest point of a number of recent floods, one of which was at the top of the stairs! The amount it must have rained for the river to get that high over such a wide area defies imagination.

James

Archived