Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion Eyepieces - which to keep/sell

CelestialHaz

Hi All,

I have a bit of a dilemma and am hoping some of you Hyperion users will be able to advise.

I have 6 Hyperion eyepieces 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 17mm, 21mm and 24mm

I also have the Baader tuning rings so can convert some of the eyepieces to different focal lengths which I know about but take into account screwing/unscrewing the rings into the eyepieces when it's near or below freezing can be tedious!

I'm looking to expand my imaging setup so thinking of selling some and wanted opinions on which to keep and which to sell?

To help with the decision, I use it on a Celestron C8 SCT and an ed80-ds-pro which both seem good for the eyepieces.

Ideally I would like to keep 3-4 of them and sell the rest (keeping the rings obviously)

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

I have recently bought three of these with a fixed budget so I carefully chose 24mm, 17mm and 8mm as these give the best spread of focal lengths when you factor in the tuning rings that can be used with the 17mm and 8mm so I'd certainly suggest that you keep these three as a minimum. The 21mm seems too close to the 24mm so in your line-up that would be the weakest one.

Since you have a C8, I'd consider selling all of them and buy a used 8-24mm Hyperion clickstop zoom. I may keep the 24 because it has the widest field and will be useful as a finder eyepiece.

A used Hyperion zoom is around twice the price of a used fixed Hyperion, so you will still have the money from the remaining 3-4 Hyperions and FTR to fund your AP kit.

Thank you for all your advice...

Tinker1947, I would love to keep them all but would like to expand in imaging though do some visual as well....if funds allow at a later date I will replenish my set again...lol it's all about juggling and being nice to the other half lol :)

Keith, I have heard that the zooms are very good but that they aren't as good as the fixed focal lengths so want to try and keep some of them

Steve, for me I feel your suggestion is personally the best for me. I've just checked out the combinations with the tuning rings (I have both 14mm and 28mm) so have decided to sell the 10mm (which the list doesn't seem to show as being able to use with the rings), the 21mm and the 13mm. The 8mm allows down to 4.3 which is the max for my scopes anyway. The 17mm as you said covers 13mm,10.8mm and 9.2mm) and the 24 for the widefield. Thank you for your advise on these!

Archived