Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leonids meteor shower 17/11/12.

We are once again approaching on Leonids annual meteor shower with this years display expected to have two peaks, the first on the 17th of November and the second on the 19th(conflicting reports say the 20th).

Rates are expected to peak with a ZHR of 10 for the first peak on the 17th and up to 15per hour on the 19th and the waxing Moon will mean viewing conditions are favourable.

http://www.imo.net/calendar/2012#leo

There are a number of minor showers also occurring at the same time but to help identify if you have seen a Leonid try and trace it back to it's radiant in Leo in the East. Leonids are also a fast moving meteor

leonidsnorth.jpg

http://meteorshowersonline.com/leonids.html

http://feraj.narod.ru/Radiants/Predictions/Leonids2012eng.html

Two Leonid peaks are expected during Leonids 2012 return - the background one and from 1400 trail. The first will be the background maximum, by IMO's data it occurs at solar longitude 235.27° (9:43 UT on 17 November). As in 2011, its intensity is expected to be quite low, around ZHR=10.

After the background maximum activity will begin to decrease and by 19:20 UT on 19 November ZHR should be only around 2. However, is shown on the Fig.2, some increasing fluctuations can occur and 1:26 UT on 19 November due to possible slight action of 1567 trail.

After that local minimun the second peak is expected, it is located in time quite far from background one, so its visual detection could be easier. 1400 trail particles should increase ZHR to 15 around 5:36 UT on 20 November. Meteor brightness is expected to lower a bit.

55P2012b.gif

Happy viewing!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah same, although I had a good night with Perseids but fell asleep in the chair watching them.

I'm not sure how Leonids will pan out for us as if we can get the Brussels Airlines site to actually charge us the price they said and not change it the second you hit the booking button we may be in Scotland.

Scotland is famously known for it's clear autumn weather, isn't it?

Yeah same, although I had a good night with Perseids but fell asleep in the chair watching them.

I'm not sure how Leonids will pan out for us as if we can get the Brussels Airlines site to actually charge us the price they said and not change it the second you hit the booking button we may be in Scotland.

Scotland is famously known for it's clear autumn weather, isn't it?

:shocked: Almost as famously known for its rain!! :huh:

Haven't managed a clear sky for a meteor shower for about the last 4 years.

Tonight is the first clear sky since a week before the Orionid shower and that peaked on the 21st.

So not expecting anything other then much of the same for Nov.

Looks a good spot Jarrod, you may see the monster from there!! ;)

I hope it's alright and if I can pay a visit or two to a local distillery then I'm sure Nessie wont be too far away. :D

I think I found a better location. This is looking due East with a fisheye lens

Jarrod if you plan on using the decking for the camera location be careful of vibrations

That spot looks nice, imagine a still night with the water like glass and some nice reflections as well.

Good point about the decking too, I only have the photos on their website to go by but I'll have a scout around when I get there and maybe find a good angle on the grass somewhere. Think I'm going to buy a second battery for the camera as well, it's something I should of done a while ago to be honest.

I hope it's alright and if I can pay a visit or two to a local distillery then I'm sure Nessie wont be too far away. :D

That spot looks nice, imagine a still night with the water like glass and some nice reflections as well.

Good point about the decking too, I only have the photos on their website to go by but I'll have a scout around when I get there and maybe find a good angle on the grass somewhere. Think I'm going to buy a second battery for the camera as well, it's something I should of done a while ago to be honest.

and a heater strap for the lens :)

Hi, this site mentions http://www.imo.net/calendar/2012#leo the first peak at around 9:30am UT on the 17th the build up and wind down of the peak stretches either side of it so you you could still expect to see some meteors on the 16th and 18th, the site also mentions another possible rise on at 21:00 UT.

There is a prediction also for a smaller secondary peak on the 19th at 1:30 am UT on this site, http://feraj.narod.ru/Radiants/Predictions/Leonids2012eng.html and then another again on the 20th of November and 5:26am UT but they are expected to be fainter meteors.

So I think Beijing is 8 hours ahead of UT which would put the main peak at 17:30pm for you although I'd say if you were observing the nights either side you should still see some meteors.

I think that all sounds about right. :)

The IMO website in the first link has loads of information on all the meteor showers and they update it whenever they get new data and observations, it's normally the first site I check.

I normally position the strap directly behind the lens hood so it is adjacent to the front objective.

Thanks Kev, can they run off a battery pack like the ones that run the mount motor drives?

Hi, this site mentions http://www.imo.net/calendar/2012#leo the first peak at around 9:30am UT on the 17th the build up and wind down of the peak stretches either side of it so you you could still expect to see some meteors on the 16th and 18th, the site also mentions another possible rise on at 21:00 UT.

There is a prediction also for a smaller secondary peak on the 19th at 1:30 am UT on this site, http://feraj.narod.ru/Radiants/Predictions/Leonids2012eng.html and then another again on the 20th of November and 5:26am UT but they are expected to be fainter meteors.

So I think Beijing is 8 hours ahead of UT which would put the main peak at 17:30pm for you although I'd say if you were observing the nights either side you should still see some meteors.

I think that all sounds about right. :)

The IMO website in the first link has loads of information on all the meteor showers and they update it whenever they get new data and observations, it's normally the first site I check.

Thanks Kev, can they run off a battery pack like the ones that run the mount motor drives?

exactly the same power arrangement 12v cigarette plug into the controller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Like this maybe? Although I can't see where they say what it runs off.

http://telescopes.ne...nch-heater.html

They still require a dew controller and the 12v power pack Jarrod. Assuming a dewstrap takes around 2 amps (probably a pessimistic value) then a small 12v 17Ahr battery would give you enough power for the night. You could also add a dummy battery arrangement for the camera and power that from the battery as well.

Think I might have to wait a bit then, at least until I can get a decent power tank and do it properly. I'll have the weekend to think it over though.

The long range forecast isn't looking too great but then again I don't exactly trust what they forecast for the next day.

Archived