SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Weekend Weather

tone2012

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best site for astro weather I have found so far is MeteoBlue:

http://www.meteoblue.com/en_GB/weather/charts/seeing/basildon_gb_2209

It gives you a three day forecast (for free - 7 days if you pay). I have found it a lot more reliable than the standard forecast sites for local conditions. If it predicts clouds rolling in at 21:00 for 3 hours, that is pretty much what seems to happen. Also gives you multiple seeing-related forecasts so you can get an idea of conditions before you start. Highly recommended.

From the site it covers the following showing an hour by hour summary:

- For good seeing conditions look for dark blue colors in the cloud cover and green values in the Seeing Indices and Jet Stream

- The estimated seeing indexes (1 & 2) range from 1 (poor) to 5 (excellent) seeing conditions. This value is computed based on the integration of turbulent layers in the atmosphere.

- NEW! Estimation of seeing in arcseconds. This is a test prediction under development, uncalibrated for the time being.

- Cloud cover ranges from dark blue (0% cover) to white (100% cover). Fog or very low cloud is not shown here (see pictocast for fog)

- High jetstream speeds (>35m/s) usually correspond to bad seeing, as well as very low speeds (<5m/s). Color gives a hint.

- Bad Layers have a Temperature Gradient > 0.5K/100m. The actual gradient is shown K/100m. The top and bottom height of the Bad layers is indicated by Bad Layers bot/top

thats a great site ian

please could you explain something for me as im new to that site

i assume blue zero is good for clouds

the seeing index is 3 and mid green which i assume is also good

i dont understand seeing index2, arcseconds or the jetstream (assume red is bad ? )

also.. bad layers ? haha thanks mate

Archived