Hello

Beeford Mick

Hello every one. I have had an interest in astronomy for many years and eagerly watch anything on the subject. however I have never owned a telescope but recently bought a Jessops Ta 900-114. I have not yet had the chance to use it yet due to the weather being very fogy since I bought the scope. I have watched a few videos on you-tube in regard to using my scope.

I am disabled and have problems with my legs but with the help of my son will be able to stargaze. I would gratefully receive any advice. and look forward to being a member of this forum.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to you from SGL. Everyone here is always ready to give help and advice, but you have come up against what we all call new scope syndrome. When I bought

my first scope it was followed by 3 months of cloud, Just seems to happen that way LOL

Wishing you clear skies soon and best of luck

velvet

Hi Mick and welcome to the forum. To help you find your way round the night sky, you might want to consider downloading a free piece of planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can view here. It's got lots of great features, can be configured from exact viewing location and so can give you a real time view of the same you are observing. It has an advance date/time feature that can allow you to look ahead to your time of observation so that you can anticipate what will be up and when. Very useful if children are involved and you want to see Jupiter but Stellarium tells you it's not up until at 2.30 am on a school night! You can also configure the appearance of the night sky which can help you develop your knowledge of constellations etc. There is plenty more and will certainly keep you busy when the clouds come in (....and stay in :grin:) The moon can also prove to be a very useful object to observe and to that end, you might want to download a photographic map of the lunar surface called "Nearside Spectacular" which you can view here. The site allows you to zoom in very close to the lunar surface which can help you rehearse finding features of interest such as those reported by Patrick Moore each month in his regular article "Moon Watch" in the Sky@Night Magazine.

The forum is full of lot of people with a lot of experience willing to share it with you so please ask as many questions as you like over in the Beginners Help & Advice Section or any other section that takes your fancy. Astronomy is difficult to learn, it's just that there is a lot of it and I'm sure you will pick up the basics in no time.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Hi Mick and welcome to the forum. To help you find your way round the night sky, you might want to consider downloading a free piece of planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can view here. It's got lots of great features, can be configured from exact viewing location and so can give you a real time view of the same you are observing. It has an advance date/time feature that can allow you to look ahead to your time of observation so that you can anticipate what will be up and when. Very useful if children are involved and you want to see Jupiter but Stellarium tells you it's not up until at 2.30 am on a school night! You can also configure the appearance of the night sky which can help you develop your knowledge of constellations etc. There is plenty more and will certainly keep you busy when the clouds come in (....and stay in :grin:) The moon can also prove to be a very useful object to observe and to that end, you might want to download a photographic map of the lunar surface called "Nearside Spectacular" which you can view here. The site allows you to zoom in very close to the lunar surface which can help you rehearse finding features of interest such as those reported by Patrick Moore each month in his regular article "Moon Watch" in the Sky@Night Magazine.

The forum is full of lot of people with a lot of experience willing to share it with you so please ask as many questions as you like over in the Beginners Help & Advice Section or any other section that takes your fancy. Astronomy isn't difficult to learn, it's just that there is a lot of it and I'm sure you will pick up the basics in no time.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Thanks James i will make a start on your advice I have already down loaded the stellarium wow. I am going to love thise stargazing.

Archived