Narrowband

First Light, SW Explorer 150PDS on NEQ6

VigdisVZ

I did it! Allow me to quote the Portal 1 ending song:

"This was a triumph, I'm making a note here: huge success, it's hard to overstate my satisfaction".

We didn't have an entire evening, but I managed to convince my buddy to join me this night for first light. We set out to a grass airfield in Vallentuna, but it turned out to be too misty. We then found a small parking lot in a clearing closeby and started to set up.

I really had NO IDEA if what I found in the polar scope was polaris or not, but somehow it seemed to work. The 2-star alignment with Capella and Dubhe was a bit off but after that it slewed right onto M45, M31 and Jupiter with fenomenal accuracy.

The Pleiades was really big, I couldnt really fit it into my widest eyepiece, but it really was a cluster of diamonds to behold. Andromeda was... well... a fuzzy blob. After slewing to Jupiter we immediately saw 4 moons and after changing eyepieces down to 6mm we saw two faint cloud bands.

After that it had become very cold, my friend was freezign a bit, and had endured me struggle with setup and polar align for long enough so I let him drive home to his girlfriend while i stowed my car. I didn't want to stay behind alone myself but I was - I AM - very satisfied with the night. My mount works, I managed to align it. And I got to see something.

Things learned: Some more organisation and boxes wont hurt now. Will looking into stowing more effectively. If I got time while its bright outside, set up the mount then. GET A RED HEADLAMP. Look at dew heaters. Dew was pretty intense even if the mirror didnt have time to mist up. Find a good spot close to home, the venue was nice, but not really close by any standards. Probably somewhere a bit more north of where I live is a tad less polluted. Also remember to take afocal snapshots even if the camera isnt mounted.

Oh, and here's a fuzzy picture of me my friend snapped off:

post-26290-0-90687500-1351024321_thumb.j

Very happy and tired. Time to celebrate with a cold pint.

post-26290-0-90687500-1351024321_thumb.j

Thank you all. I am very satisfied and cannot stop grinning to myself today.

I'm still searching for a suitable spot nere home, but I've recently spoken to an aquiantance who runs a Lapphund kennel a bit north of were I live, and their sky is much darker, I'm guessing thats the destination for the next extended session. Since I cannot observe from home I need to pack my car anyway, might as well drive 20km to some darkes skies while I'm at it.

Thanks for the kind words all!

Now I'm probably stuck at home for atleast a week, unless I can find a good spot around the corner. Winter weather struck a month early and my tires are worn out summer tires, and my new winter soles dont arrive for a week still.... Dont wanna risk sliding off an icy road in the dark if i can avoid it.

Karma?

Sounds like a sweet set up and an even sweeter mount. Glad you got off to a flying start. The cold is only going to get worse too lol.

I understand why you didn't want to be left alone, im very much the same. Can be dangerous, take precautions and should be fine. As they say though, its a lot easier to just be looking after yourself rather than other people too if something does go wrong.

Archived