Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

homerjh

Telescope storage : Where do you keep yours..

Next to the bed...nice and close for emergencies! You know, astronomical emergencies.

And you can always give it a cuddle !!

• Like 1

Fortunate enough to have been lent free of charge the community's top floor flat, so I keep all my gear up there.

I keep mine in a well insulate wood summerhouse which I heat to 9 deg C to keep the damp away. I use an electric flat panel heater with a self tuning solid state pulsed output controller supplying it.

I keep my OTA in one of those big plastic storage boxes and my tripod is kept setup, without the weight or control rods, with a sheet over it to keep it clean. I keep them both in my bedroom.

My 200p sits in its box that it came in, with 3 of the semi circlular poly blocks to support it. Means carrying it downstairs each time i want to use it, but our garage floods and cant leave it downstairs.

i plan on keeping my 130 in my daughters wendy house in the garden, its dry inside and just has the odd spider to contend with.

Mine stays in my hallway but I plan to put it in the cupboard under the stairs if I can get round to cleaning it.

Safe and dry under the table in the dining room. Boxes of cables, accessories, etc fit around the table and between chairs.

As a family,we now eat off our knees while watching the TV in the other room.

Got to keep the priorities right!

mine were in garage, but now sit in my dome tent in garden, unzip the big door and ready to go, prob go back in garage if weather gets too bad

My grab and go kit lives under our bed (the alu carry cases fit just right). The bigger fracs currently live in the front room (along with the 8SE in the boxes the mount and tube came in) - I am informed that this WILL be a temporary state of affairs (better get my thinking cap on for an alternative!). Tripods live by the back door (in the kitchen).

My dob and ST102 live in the corner of the living room by the tv. The 130m has been sent to the utility room and has been striped of a few things

I keep my scopes set up in the domeless observatory...... Ok it's a garden shed but the temperature is right and its an easy job to get them into the garden :p . The heater goes on once I've taken the scope out (nice for a warmup when it gets too cold) and I have a dehumidifier which goes on a timer for a couple of hrs after I pack up.

Scott

My 8" dob sits up in the small spare bedroom that is kept fairly cool. It only takes 2 trips to get it outside (about 3-5 mins).

normally set up in a corner of the lounge but if space needed mount goes between a bookcase and wall with scope on a shelf in the bookcase (it has it's own little space)

+ another for garage, Skywatcher 200 and Tak 106 plus all kit makes hubby a bit grumpy

when he cant sit down in the lounge for astro stuff. LOL

Velvet

I keep my Nexstar 90 on its tripod collapsed in a space I made between a bookcase and a cupboard. It is secured from falling over by a number of hooks on the wall and bungies. Handy for grabbing and taking straight out, but perhaps not the best place for it. I was thinking about making a wooden cabinet with insets to hold it securely. I'm not sure if I should put that in the garage, shed or in the house where it currently sits.

In the wardrobe in a spare bedroom along with all my other astro gear, out of site out of wife's mind. Only downside is I have to carry it up and down the stairs to use it but let's be honest if that happens 30 times a year that's a good uk observing year lol

I keep most of the gear in the shed and the OTA's in the house in various locations!

The SCT's are in a wardrobe, the small refractors are in a cupboard, oh the large refractor is also in the shed slung from the roof.

The shed is insulated and keeps a fairly constant temp so I could keep the OTA's out there too but don't want all my eggs in one basket so to speak

even though the the house and shed are alarmed.