Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope storage : Where do you keep yours..

kind of a cross post, but i have been suggested a 200p is a good starter scope, but the only place i have would be the cellar for storing a large scope as the spare bedroom has no space, and dont think the wife would let me keep it in the living room !

But the cellar can get air-damp sometimes (ie cardboard gets soft, but no actual wetness) depending on the weather as there isn't much good airflow and some untreated wood (ie MDF) can get mould on it where it is dark and covered, pretty average for a 120+ year old terrace cellar from all accounts (and some are actually wet).

So the question is, where do you keep yours? have you ever stored one somewhere and found it damaged due to damp/water?

:)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would avoid the cellar by the sounds of it. Not sure a dob base would last too long down there. We use the conservatory and under the stairs. We are currently considering getting a small shed for the garden, to store a dob, but not gone down this route yet.

I use a plastic Keter storage box purchased from B&Q a couple of years ago with a padlock and vibration alarm for security to store my Celestron CPC. The boxes no longer appear on the B&Q web site but are available here:-

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Plastic-Storage/Keter-Store-it-Out-XL-Plastic-Garden-Storage-Box---1300-Litre-Capacity

The boxes have the advantage that they generally store the scope at ambient temperature while keeping the rain off. I have had no problems with condensation, but cover the scope with the plastic bag that came with it as additional protection.

Brinders

Mine sits in a converted Garage, wall and floor are insulated, any place will do provided you get some air flow to stop the damp building up like it does in your cellar, a wooded shed in the garden will do, provided its water tight.....

Archived