Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First go at M45

ian_bird

Hi

My first attempt at M45. Shot fom Les Granges and processed with Olly Penrice sat at my shoulder giving me great advice. A great teacher!

Cheers

Ian

http://www.sunstarfr...rfrance.com/��- I have nothing to do with this website - but I am sat in Olly's front room - watching the dying embers of the fire and wondeing if I will A) ever taste food this good again, and B) ever lose the weight I have put on from Monique's amazing cooking!

Oh! - And C) ever see skies so dark again!

OK - D) ever learn so much fom such a great teacher.

Biased? Me? Not at all!

Tinkety Tonk!

post-26501-0-62700000-1350857890_thumb.j

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that's a nice shot.

This is jus coming up as a viable target here in the UK. Hoping to get a few hours on it once the clouds lift...... If I get even remotely close to your results, I shall be delighted.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Welcome to SGL, Ian. This is a striking rendition and a testment to your good capture with a nice scope. (Ian has an FLT98 with Feathertouch. I've long wanted to see one of these at close quarters. It's good.) Given that the data was relatively short you've gone deep and found that there is varied colour in them thar clusters!

As for puttng on weight with Monique's cooking, tell me about it. I used to be a racing cyclist. Now, well... ahem.

Olly

Quite beautiful. Can I just ask a related question about M45, I've seen them plenty of times with my 130P (only the stars) but when the time comes I'll be turning my new Orion 12" to them. I have "reasonable" skies with not too bad LP and wondered whether I can expect to see any of the nebulosity you have captured here? I have a Baader UHC-S which I've not tried yet, would this be useful here?

Thanks for all the nice comments! Much appreciated. I like the natural under processed look. Olly is a great teacher. He shows me how to bring out the detail in what I have captured - and more importantly - shows me how to not make detail out of nothing. Does that make sense? Not over stretched. Not over processed.

I love his style. Him and Nik Szymanek, who I have also been fortunate enough to learn from.

I am a very lucky guy to have such great teachers!

Regards

Ian

Quite beautiful. Can I just ask a related question about M45, I've seen them plenty of times with my 130P (only the stars) but when the time comes I'll be turning my new Orion 12" to them. I have "reasonable" skies with not too bad LP and wondered whether I can expect to see any of the nebulosity you have captured here? I have a Baader UHC-S which I've not tried yet, would this be useful here?

I can and cannot anwser this! The nebulosity is, for me, incredibly hard to see and even harder to predict. For no very obvious reason I find I can see it or I cannot. This might be in the big Dob, a large refractor or a small one. I have a very dark site but that never changes. I'm still struggling to know what it is that sometimes renders the nebulosity visible. In any event it is very faint and there is a danger of mistaking high haze for nebulosity. Probably the best 'hit rate' is in the TEC 140 because my most 'certain' views have most often been in this. When you have it you know you have it but it is never obvious. People with great eyesight might do far better. If you see a circular glow around the main stars then that is probably haze. If it has some of the shape that you see in images of Merope then you probably have it.

Happy hunting!

Olly

Good advice thanks. I'll certainly give it a good go when the opportunity arises. It sounds quite tricky to be certain so I'll bear your words in mind before I get too carried away if I think I've spotted it.

Very nice ,but easy with the location and kit I find a challenge is always best from less than perfect locations which most of us have but this is a welcome from the normal

pat

Call me thick but I've never taken an easy astrophoto in my life!

Olly

The UHC would not be helpful, as the nebulosity associated with M45 is a reflection nebula, rather than an emission nebula where the UHC can be quite beneficial. I recently returned from observing in the desert of Oman where the skies were mag 6+ and incredibly transparent (the zodiacal light was very obvious), and with my 4" Apo is was hard not to see the reflection nebula associated with M45. Not the first time I have glimpsed it, but never quite so apparent.

Archived