Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new SW Explorer 150PDS/NEQ-6 Synscan kit unpacking

VigdisVZ

Finally having a weekend with nothing planned I had a good opportunity to get my gear unboxed and sorted.

post-26290-0-36060800-1350831659_thumb.j

The tripod wasn't as heavy as predicted, but sure feels sturdy.

post-26290-0-39626800-1350831662_thumb.j

Manuals and some sales flyer. Whats up with the guy in the hoodie?

post-26290-0-68223000-1350831665_thumb.j

I then mounted the head on the tripod, really heavy stuff.

post-26290-0-48036600-1350831668_thumb.j

The mirror was almost in perfect collimation, will give that a closer look later today as I was missing a tool to adjust the secondary.

post-26290-0-73956600-1350831670_thumb.j

The scope fit snugly with the mounting bar. Hopefully no cone errors.

post-26290-0-09365400-1350831673_thumb.j

Also got myself a collimator and a LED flashligt.

post-26290-0-36211200-1350831675_thumb.j

The camera adaptor. Should I look to mount the camera directly on the 2-inch focuser or is it ok to use the eyepiece adaptor via the 2 -> 1.25 adaptor?

post-26290-0-90247500-1350831677_thumb.j

Here is the whole kit sofar. I also have a small box of eyepieces, a barlow and some filters. Lastly I took a drive to Uppsala today and got myself a 12v 19Ah car starter to stand in as powertank, a camping mat to use as dew-sheild, spirit level and a tarp.

Get ready for the flood of questions in the newbie section.

I'm feeling very intimidated by the complexity of the setup, I need to familiarize myself with everything. But hopefully I can get a chance to catch some photons as there might be a gap in the clouds on tuesday.

Anyone wanna come hold my hand? ;)

I would suggest your make one of the legs North facing so you put the weights on over this leg then the scope this save the whole lot toppling over through being unbalanced........Your camera should be attached straight to the Focus tube for Prime Focus AP, very nice bit of kit you have there hope you get many clears skys to use it under....:)

Yes tuesday looks promising for first light indeed! :cool:

Yes I hope to get some clear sky tomorrow. I even recruited a friend to keep me company for a few hours. Unfortunately I have not found a place close to home that feels really good to set up at, so I'll probably try Vallentuna Flygfält because it's pretty much in between where me and my friend lives.

I still can't believe how hard it is to find a suitable spot that is acessible with car, not in the middle of light and traffic and not someplace where people call the cops on me. The search goes on and I'll scout some would be locations the coming week.

I would suggest your make one of the legs North facing so you put the weights on over this leg then the scope this save the whole lot toppling over through being unbalanced........Your camera should be attached straight to the Focus tube for Prime Focus AP, very nice bit of kit you have there hope you get many clears skys to use it under.... :)

Cool, I didn't notice you could swap the peg to the other side of the mount, will do that.

The camera "eye-piece camera adaptor" was recommended by my supplier, I guess they didn't fully understand what pieces they were selling as I ordered one of these, I also got the exact same adaptor in my eye-piece kit I also ordered. So I'm a bit miffed about that. The supplier was nice and all, but seemed a bit stressed out. Maybe I can find someone who can use it and take it off my hands ;)

I already started looking for 2 inch camera adapters to fit my T-2 ring, it will probably have to wait since the kit was expensive and now I need new tires and a windshield for my car. Photography is my end goal, but right now I just want to get out there and learn the setup and enjoy the skies.

Archived