Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 1000D mod clarification

pritc

Hi, :grin:

Just got myself a cheap 1000D body to attempt the DIY astro mod..... :tongue:

After reading several posts and Gary Honis's web page, I just want to check something regarding filter removal / replacement...

I plan to use the 1000D for astro imaging ONLY ( No daytime imaging / lens imaging).

Imaging with a 200P reflector, so no problems with bloated stars.

So my question is:

Can I just remove the IR cut filter and not replace it with anything?

I see that some people replace the removed filter with clear glass or a Baader filter.

Wayne

The glass replacement is only needed if you want to use standard camera lenses.

Otherwise the colour balance filter can be removed and not replaced.

I use a modded (both filters removed, and not replaced) for spectroscopy.

I have a canon 450dslr modded thats filter removed just use it for AP and its fine.Go to astronomiser website and he gives a good account on the subject of removal or replacement

thats where i got my info from when deciding whether to replace or remove

• 2 weeks later...

I have just got a fully Baader moded 40D though what that means I am clueless. I put my 300mm on it the other day an shot some wildlife in the garden, the results have a colour cast in them, can this be changed by ajusting the colour temperature?

Alan

I have just got a fully Baader moded 40D though what that means I am clueless. I put my 300mm on it the other day an shot some wildlife in the garden, the results have a colour cast in them, can this be changed by ajusting the colour temperature?

Alan

A Custom White BAlance should sort things out...

http://www.ehow.com/video_2371536_canon-eos-40d-custom-white.html

If you shoot raws then you can adjust the WB in the post processing... The WB settigns get applied in camera for the jpegs...

Peter...

• 1 month later...

Hi, :grin:

Just got myself a cheap 1000D body to attempt the DIY astro mod..... :tongue:

After reading several posts and Gary Honis's web page, I just want to check something regarding filter removal / replacement...

I plan to use the 1000D for astro imaging ONLY ( No daytime imaging / lens imaging).

Imaging with a 200P reflector, so no problems with bloated stars.

So my question is:

Can I just remove the IR cut filter and not replace it with anything?

I see that some people replace the removed filter with clear glass or a Baader filter.

Wayne

It is not the IR cut filter you remove it is the colour correction filter (the blue one) the clear IR cut filter stays in place in a canon 1000D the earlier cameras only had one filter so when removed you had to replace with a different IR cut filter.

Archived