Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

The Brecons?

eucid

Late this week I am going over the Brecons to do some gazing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go? After a little bit of searching I am thinking of going to Llanthony or Hay Bluff.

Thanks

Late this week I am going over the Brecons to do some gazing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go? After a little bit of searching I am thinking of going to Llanthony or Hay Bluff.

Thanks

In general the further North you can head into Mid Wales the darker it will be. Brecon Beacons National Park is okay- but suffers from being too close to the South Wales conurbation on the all important Southern horizon. Elan valley area for instance is much darker.

southwaleslightpollution.jpg

http://www.breconbeacons.org/visit-us/outdoors-activities/star-gazing-and-dark-skies/brecon-beacons-2013-star-gazing-top-10

GOTO the above page, they are the best sites found during the this years light pollution survey.

If you are near tal-y-bont on the 9 the Nov there is a public star party, with members of Usk AS, Abergavenny AS and Hovas, bringing scopes along. Also if it can be arranged, the street lights are to be turned off to.

Archived