Narrowband

Analogue Astro: Le Gentil 3 and Friends!

Nightfly

Perhaps my finest example of color analog astrophotography of this region. This has been a joy to produce and to share here on SGL.

I'm impressed on how well the faint tendrils fanning out from Le Gentil 3 came through. I was not expecting this frame to go so deep, especially since it was on a night of average transparency. The two 50 minute frames were taken between 10:40 and 12:35 local time. This is not a stack, but a mosaic of those two frames. SQM readings were 21.25 mags/sq-arc-sec average.

Equipment was a piggyback mounted Pentax 67 camera with 165mm f/2.8 portrait lens stopped down to f/4.8. Superia 100 was employed to capture the images.

I am so happy to be able to share this image and hope that it is well received. If you look carefully you will see a host of smaller deep sky objects not usually seen in a wide-field image, such as the Iris Nebula (NGC-7023), Fireworks Galaxy NGC-9646, and its neighbor NGC-6939.

Thank you in advance for looking.

Jim

Cygnus%20Cepheus%20Mosaic%20Superia.jpg

Thank you. There it is. Lots of faint detail throughout. I am no expert on digital capture workflow, but my philosophy with film is "long and slow". I would imagine that this might work in your capture? Its prime time for capture this time of year. Go for it!

Its a wonderful area to be sure.

Jim

Archived