Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Enjoying a very nice read

Jem7

I have just started reading 'The Atlas of The Messier Objects: Highlights of the deep sky' by Stoyan, Binnewies, Freidrick & Schroeder. Published by the Cambridge University Press 2008

I have to say this is a huge & wonderfully illustrated book, certainly not a book to take out in the field, but without doubt a superb reference. It covers every object in superb detail. Containing a huge 370 pages. I thought the postman had delivered a concrete block to my door!

Heres the low down from the back page:-

'The 110 star clusters, nebulae and galaxies of Messiers catalog are among the most popular of all the deep sky objects and are beautiful targets for amateur observers of all abilites. This new atlas presents a complete account of all the Messier objects, detailing, for each object:-

Its astrophysical significance

Well researched background on its discovery

Clear observational descriptions from naked eye through to large telescopes

Observations and anecdotes from Messier himself and other famous observers of the past

In addition, this atlas has some of the worlds finest colour astrophotos, inverted photos that have been labeled to point to hidden details and neighboring objects, and historical sketches alongside new deep sky drawings, helping to bring the Messier objects to life.

Painting an engaging portrait of Charles Messiers life and observations, this is the most far reaching and beautiful reference on the Messier objects there has ever been, and one that no observer should be without'

I am really enjoying this book and just thought I would share this. As a returning newbie to this pastime I thought the Messier objects would be a good place to start. I do remember seeing M42, M31 and M13 in my small 4" newtonion before I sold it. This book is simply adding fuel to the fire and it will be a miracle if I manage to hold out till Christmas for my new telescope.

As far as I am concerned this was money well spent, and it gets a big thumbs up from me.

I have this book too and would certainly recommend it as a very useful resource to have at your finger tips. A great deal of info on each object and particularly useful when you are planning your observing session and want to read up on some of the objects that you have planned to see. If it makes you spend a little bit longer looking at an object (because you now know a little bit more about it) then it is a worthwhile investment.

If the weather improves and you are able to witness some longer clear nights, I am sure you won't be able to hold out till Xmas - if you do then you have a lot more will power than me!

James

Archived