Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

coxy322

My First Pleiades

Hey fellow astro geeks.

It's been ages (again) - the weather cleared just after midnight tonight and I was straight on it, seeing as it's the weekend!

Thought I'd share my first attempt at the Pleiades. Am quite impressed and it's turned me onto M45 more. Don't you also find that you make a better connection to one of these wonders when you image it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astrocox/8104163842/sizes/l/in/photostream/

8104163842_5bc91f23d4_b_d.jpg

Jupiter next, let's see what the Canon 1100D can do :-)

Ash

Thanks for the comments. This is 12 mins total at 1600 iso. Dont think any more would be necessary?!

I like the way the nebulosity resembles brush strokes, as if painted not photographed.

Nice one - thats a great capture. I also like the brush stoke effect of the nebulosity. The more imaging time that you have on a subject, the better the depth and lower the noise in the image. Its tricky to get any decent amount of time with the lousy weather we are having at the moment though.

Cracking shot there

John

Its funny, but my first thoughts were 'pretty as a painting'. love the spikes on the stars too.

I had another go at processing from Friday night's data. This time I included 5x more lights and was more subtle with the proecssing, although it felt like a different image altogether to process really.

I adjusted more in GIMP too.

Less noise, but less prominent nebula. Although it now looks more like a photo rather than a painting :-)

What do you think, which is better?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astrocox/8114384858/sizes/l/in/photostream/

8114384858_4bf8c8344f_b_d.jpg

Ash

Great looking pictures. The first one is good but the second attempt looks a little crisper. Brilliant :smiley:

Nice images :smiley:

I prefer the second for it's cleaner look, also the double star in the middle of the Pleiades looks more correct (the right hand star should be yellow). There's probably a point somewhere between each image where you get more nebulosity without getting too much more noise but it's a very subjective area. What is a definite is JohnC64's comment " The more imaging time that you have on a subject, the better the depth and lower the noise in the image". If you put more time in you'll be able to stretch it further without extra noise.

James

Very nicely taken - good nebulosity coming through!

Thanks for the comments. This is 12 mins total at 1600 iso. Dont think any more would be necessary?!

Always!! I think I took 60 subs the one time I imaged it.

Very nice! How dark is your part of Somerset?

I am on the edge of Taunton, between J25 and Corfe however still in the suberbs. Luckily the LP is not too bad but it is here for sure, I sometimes go to Smeatharpe as up there it's totally dark!

Very nicely taken - good nebulosity coming through!

Always!! I think I took 60 subs the one time I imaged it.

60 Subs would take me ages! To get the above I took 30 subs, 7 of which were Rubbish and went in the bin immediately. So to get 60 I'd need approx 80 which could take me 3 hours or so. With the weather the way it has been all year I hardly get the chance!

When we will get a decent break?!

I am on the edge of Taunton, between J25 and Corfe however still in the suberbs. Luckily the LP is not too bad but it is here for sure, I sometimes go to Smeatharpe as up there it's totally dark!

Interesting - I live just up the hill from Upottery and do my grocery shopping at Smeatharpe :) I know the Corfe road pretty well :)
  • Like 1

Interesting - I live just up the hill from Upottery and do my grocery shopping at Smeatharpe :) I know the Corfe road pretty well :)

I've only been up there twice and even then only once was it worth the time spent. Its rather windy as so high up!

I took my gf up there a few weeks ago to show her the MY. Pleased to report she was stunned! V. jealous I can't live further out. One day...

Ash

60 Subs would take me ages! To get the above I took 30 subs, 7 of which were Rubbish and went in the bin immediately. So to get 60 I'd need approx 80 which could take me 3 hours or so. With the weather the way it has been all year I hardly get the chance!

When we will get a decent break?!

Yep, but that's what's required to get the most out of an image! If you think finding 3 hours is difficult, my Heart Neb took no less than 13 hours! (and that was when the nights were shorter!) I know just how tempting it can be to switch to new targets, though... :)

Yep, but that's what's required to get the most out of an image! If you think finding 3 hours is difficult, my Heart Neb took no less than 13 hours! (and that was when the nights were shorter!) I know just how tempting it can be to switch to new targets, though... :)

So do you use Star Masks to collect data over several nights? I have been using APT and see it offers this function..

I'd love to get the second shot above worked on some more, it'd be great to get the detail of the first but with the quality of the second.

Fantastic image. I agree: one develops a better connections with the DSOs after imaging them. When doing visual there is the temptation of moving quickly from one object to the next, but when you image you stay with one object for a long time, outside and inside.

Yes very much an improvement in the second image. Maybe there was a bit of a trade off between losing some detail to creating something a bit more refined, to me it was well worth it. The second image looks much more natural and subtle yet still retains a good amount of detail

I have attempted processing the data for this target again! This time tweaking the stacking process, using Median mode and maximum RGB alignment on background calibration.

The image is smoother but with lots of nebulosity HOWEVER I don't like how the stars have blown up. Hopefully I'll have time to revisit and collect more data before the end of the year (wishful thinking with this terrible weather STILL!).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astrocox/8129322438/in/photostream

8129322438_bca69cb20c_b_d.jpg

So, with three examples using relatively the same data set but different stacking parameters and less/more extreme processing, which is better!? Any more tips welcome and gratefully received.

Ash

The nebulosity is standing out really well now - superb :)