SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1100D mod in progress.

JAS

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I added the cold finger last night and put th camera back together this morning.

I decided to cover the exposed parts of the finger with self adhisive neoprine to try and help keep the moisture down within the camera and to avoid shorting anything.

BUT there is some sort of interferance showing in the picture.

Cameranoise.jpg

I decided to open it back up and earth the cold finger to the camera chassis, this did not make any difference.

Anyone got any idea's what could be causing this?

Jason.

Hmmm... And you're sure you've refitted all the ribbon connectors properly? I though I'd succeded in destroying another camera but having taken it apart and checked I found the sensor cable wasn't on the main board properly. When I'd put it all back together it worked fine - great relief :D

Thanks for the suggestion Gina, I have tried all of the ribbon connectors and there was no difference.

I have so far:

1, Boneded the cold finger to the chassis.

2, Isolated the cold finger from the chassis, inc the tripod mount.

3, Refitted the cold finger.

4, Disconnected all of the ribbons, cleaned the connector pads on the ribbons and refitted.

5, Removed the cold finger, cleaned everything and put the camera back together.

None of the above have made any difference. :embarrassed:

Jason.

Yes they are the same, I am also getting error 70 every now and then.

I have noticed that the pins that stick through the board behind the imaging chip are shorter than they were when I started, I put insulation between them and the cold finger as you did. I may have done some damage there. May have to look around for another one!

Jason.

Very impressive work Jason - takes DSLR mods to a new level :cool: By cooling the sensor are there any problems with condensation on the sensor surface? Most cooled CCD astrocams have a front window to seal the CCD environment.

I didn't think of that! I was too concerned with keeping it all dust free.

Oh well live and learn. I went into it knowing there was a risk. No pain no gain, as they say.

I had a anti static bag from a motherboard in the draw aswell:(

Jason.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

If it was working after the boards were put in plastic bags but not after the cold finger mod, it does hint at something that happened after the second mod. Although a static strike can cause a component failure some time after the damage has been done, I wouldn't give up hope yet!

From your first set of photos it looks like you were really methodical in your approach. Any way you can back track exactly what you did between your IR photo and the failure? It could be something really simple that you have forgotten or even a short between two solder tails being bent onto each over. The pins behind the image chip that look shorter now; where have the lost bits gone? Have they broken off and are floating around inside somewhere, possibly causing a short?

Good luck, I feel for you. :undecided:

Daft questions, but have you tried it with the cold finger removed? It might be shorting something :confused:

I have removed the cold finger and put it back together but it was still the same.

If it was working after the boards were put in plastic bags but not after the cold finger mod, it does hint at something that happened after the second mod. Although a static strike can cause a component failure some time after the damage has been done, I wouldn't give up hope yet!

From your first set of photos it looks like you were really methodical in your approach. Any way you can back track exactly what you did between your IR photo and the failure? It could be something really simple that you have forgotten or even a short between two solder tails being bent onto each over. The pins behind the image chip that look shorter now; where have the lost bits gone? Have they broken off and are floating around inside somewhere, possibly causing a short?

Good luck, I feel for you. :undecided:

I have gone back over everything I did a couple of times but nothing has worked yet.

I have arranged to borrow a high power magnifying glass with a light, hoprfully I will have it for the weekend. I can then have a real good look over everything for any damage.

Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

I have got another 1100D from ebay and fitted the Badder filter into that!

While I was doing the mod I swaped the main board from the working camera into the faulty one but that made no difference :sad:

I then swaped the sensor over and everything was OK :happy3: So I have the new camera modded and ready for a clear night, and I am on the lookout for a replacement sensor for the old one. Can anyone point in the direction of a secound hand one for sale? If I can find one I will have a go at a full on cooled camera like Gina has.

Jason

An interesting looking mod. Looking forward to seeing some results. Strange that the sensor should fail, is there any visible damage? could it have been a bad connection and when you plugged the other in it worked? Not sure about the 1100D but the connection from the main board to the sensor, is it a ribbon? If so have you tried swapping that over to check if it is just the cable?

It is a cable, and no I didnt try swapping it, come to think of it

I think I tried the new sensor with the new ribbon!

Thanks for the suggestion I will try it over the weekend.

Jason

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Archived