Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

lukebl

Viewing Aurora at full moon?

Hi All,

I'm off to Norway next week, to around 60 degrees North, and hoped to catch the Aurora (not the main purpose of the trip, but it would be a bonus). However, I've just realised to my dismay that it'll be full moon. If there's a good display, is it possible to see it under full moon? And would any filters help to reduce the effect of the moon if I were to attempt any imaging with my dslr? I have an adapter to allow 2" filters to fit onto my standard lens, and have 2" Baader UHC-S and Skywatcher LP filters.

Cheers.

P.S. I understand that the most useful phrase to learn in Norwegian is 'HOW MUCH?!!!!'!

Edited by lukebl

Searching on google images shows a number of pics featuring a bright moon as well so it at least shows up on camera, not sure how that effects visual observing.

This guide tells you to remove all filters you may have so maybe it's not a good idea.

http://www.lapland-t...hotography.html

We have been looking at going too and yes, they do tell me it's a bit expensive. Flights and accommodation seem cheap enough though.

Edited by Pibbles

I'd say about 40% of the images of the aurora i have seen feature a bright moon. I found this thread earlier on. It might be of some help:

http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/magazine/articles/advice/photographing-the-northern-lights?utm_campaign=Newsletter%2018%2F10%2F2012&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_source=email

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

This was taken a few weeks back with a moon so bright I didn't need a head torch to find my way around. Enjoy your trip.

Aurora, Ryder Cup night 1/10/12

definitely yes, have seen aurora at full moon in Sweden. So i know its possible. obviously will depend on level of auroral activity but if it is mod to high you should be OK.

Worst nightmare for you is cloud not the moon

Regards

Velvet

Yes, you'll be fine. Have seen a couple of amazing aurora displays around full moon from North Wales in the late 80s.

I do hope you'll get to see & image it ..............

Have a great time :)

Thanks, all. Off tomorrow and the weather looks promising for the weekend.

• Like 1