Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

On the search for new sites...

Simms

So, we have Dengie, we have Quendon/Ugley (we need to get along there one night) and Hanningfield looks like it could be do-able. Gary has found us a gay cruising site (accidentally he says)so I'm on the look out for another site we can use in the upcoming winter months.

So, my next area of investigation will be taking place in the rural areas between Chelmsford and Harlow - along the A414 corridor.

http://maps.google.c...444603&t=m&z=12

I am thinking the area around Willingale might be a goodish place to start - and I know a few people around that area who are friendly with local landowners so it may be easy to get permission if we find a good location. Then look at going north towards Abbess Roding and some of the smaller villages. My reasoning is that, especially in the Winter months, a lot of the more interesting objects are in the southern skies, so I am trying to look at what is south of the possible sites and making a judgement on the amount of light pollution we can expect - looking at Google maps one can see that it is pretty clear to the south of these areas, and as far as I can remember (I could check streetview I guess) the A414 in those areas is unlit so shouldn't pose much of a problem.

We also need to establish a `test` of sorts to describe how dark a site is.. I know none of us have a dark sky meter and I have no intention of buying one. I am thinking of a long exposure test with a DSLR that we use at each site.. For example we use a number of settings that we can compare - ISO400, 30 secs, F4 at 24mm or something along those lines - then take photos looking North, East, South & West. Lets not worry just yet about the exact settings, these can be worked on next time we are out. Basically something to give us a rough idea of local Light Pollution.

As always - comments/suggestions more than welcome.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most places near near the Harlow end of the A414 are generally in the orange, plus there are quite a few floodlit golf courses in the area.

The Rodings possibly aren't a bad idea to check out, although bear in mind Stansted's air traffic might be an issue.

Dave - I'm fully expecting to see a certain degree of LP, but we're generally just looking for somewhere better than Basildon (in my case) - For example - a 30 second exposure at f2.8/iso800 without any filter will generally render a near white exposure on my camera from my backyard - the equivalent exposure at say Dengie gives me.. well - see attached! and this was not full dark either. Somewhere in between this and the blazing lights of Bas Vegas should suit us for our needs.

I've also attached some other bits and pieces - descriptions on the photo.. No editing other than resizing and adding some text. Only the shot in Basildon has a light pollution filter - all the others are without the LP filter.

post-10509-0-94533000-1350733104_thumb.j

post-10509-0-00504800-1350733115_thumb.j

post-10509-0-97492100-1350733134_thumb.j

post-10509-0-29038500-1350733141_thumb.j

post-10509-0-47493700-1350733147_thumb.j

post-10509-0-57027300-1350733156_thumb.j

i know i am new to this, but the area you mention does sound idea, i used to metal detect a few years back, and its was all over these areas,matching gree and harlow/hertfordshire

just wish i was into this hobby then as spent a few weekends in the middle of fields in pitch black.

i may take a ride out friday with me mate and take a look. if its clear that is,wish i had a gizmo that tells you how dark it is in % lol

Dave - I'm fully expecting to see a certain degree of LP, but we're generally just looking for somewhere better than Basildon (in my case) - For example - a 30 second exposure at f2.8/iso800 without any filter will generally render a near white exposure on my camera from my backyard - the equivalent exposure at say Dengie gives me.. well - see attached! and this was not full dark either. Somewhere in between this and the blazing lights of Bas Vegas should suit us for our needs.

I've also attached some other bits and pieces - descriptions on the photo.. No editing other than resizing and adding some text. Only the shot in Basildon has a light pollution filter - all the others are without the LP filter.

Yeah, it's quite understandable.

If you look on the naked eye LP map - http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html - then the Rodings looks alright.

If you look on the CCD LP map - http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/uk-ccd.html - then the Rodings might be a relative improvement, as long as you steer clear of Harlow and Chelmsford.

hi mark

i was in Sawbridgeworth just a week or 2 ago and somehow managed to enjoy some sky time - the milky was was visible by eye, just like at dengie - dont think it appeared as bright but it was def visible !

im always up for harlow a414 corridor as its near all us basildon / loughton lot !

What lens did you use for this Mark

• 4 months later...

So, we have Dengie, we have Quendon/Ugley (we need to get along there one night) and Hanningfield looks like it could be do-able. Gary has found us a gay cruising site (accidentally he says)so I'm on the look out for another site we can use in the upcoming winter months.

So, my next area of investigation will be taking place in the rural areas between Chelmsford and Harlow - along the A414 corridor.

http://maps.google.c...444603&t=m&z=12

I am thinking the area around Willingale might be a goodish place to start - and I know a few people around that area who are friendly with local landowners so it may be easy to get permission if we find a good location. Then look at going north towards Abbess Roding and some of the smaller villages. My reasoning is that, especially in the Winter months, a lot of the more interesting objects are in the southern skies, so I am trying to look at what is south of the possible sites and making a judgement on the amount of light pollution we can expect - looking at Google maps one can see that it is pretty clear to the south of these areas, and as far as I can remember (I could check streetview I guess) the A414 in those areas is unlit so shouldn't pose much of a problem.

We also need to establish a `test` of sorts to describe how dark a site is.. I know none of us have a dark sky meter and I have no intention of buying one. I am thinking of a long exposure test with a DSLR that we use at each site.. For example we use a number of settings that we can compare - ISO400, 30 secs, F4 at 24mm or something along those lines - then take photos looking North, East, South & West. Lets not worry just yet about the exact settings, these can be worked on next time we are out. Basically something to give us a rough idea of local Light Pollution.

As always - comments/suggestions more than welcome.

I have the unihedron sky quality meter. I will bring this along to any group meetings. Satellite data indicates a doughnut shaped band of dark sky around haverill, this is probably the darkest available in the region

• 1 month later...

hi mark

i went to willingale last weknd... was very cloudy but in between cloud a decent star covereage was visible, more importantly Sawbridgworth is very good indeed (could see indirectly the milky way)

well worth a look over that way

also by chance i dove through ugley green on the way to Wormingford on Sunday - also lots of stars

i have someone in Wormingford who's land we can 100% use (its a farm)

hi mark

i went to willingale last weknd... was very cloudy but in between cloud a decent star covereage was visible, more importantly Sawbridgworth is very good indeed (could see indirectly the milky way)

well worth a look over that way

also by chance i dove through ugley green on the way to Wormingford on Sunday - also lots of stars

i have someone in Wormingford who's land we can 100% use (its a farm)

Mmmmmmmmm

gallery_3203_2531_15284.jpg

Folks, did anyone checkout this dark zone south of Haverill (see band of red below)? The CCD LP map puts it as darker than other areas to the Eastern side of the county. Being somewhat Northerly, the view South should be improved. Previously mentioned Finchinfield is not that far from here, or Great/ Little Bardfield, if anyone is familiar with these areas, and has located suitable ground. I can vouch for B/Stortford skies being pretty dire for any vaguely serious deep sky observing.

Archived