Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

You know you're an astronomer when...

Josh Wilson

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When your walking down a very steep very wet mountain in the dark. Take a quick look up and instantly switch head torch to red light to take in the incredible views then suddenly remember where you are, get very disorientated in the dark and slip over and land on your Bottom ( I did this last night in snowdonia )

When your walking down a very steep very wet mountain in the dark. Take a quick look up and instantly switch head torch to red light to take in the incredible views then suddenly remember where you are, get very disorientated in the dark and slip over and land on your Bottom ( I did this last night in snowdonia )

On the bright side, once you're sitting down it's much easier to enjoy the view :)

James

When you're shopping for a new winter coat, you've narrowed the choice down to three but then base the final choice solely on the fact that only one has nice deep front pockets perfect for holding your eyepieces on a cold night observing (me, last Saturday) ... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha yes, your fashion standard slips amazingly. When I arrived in one evening with many, many layers looking like the Michelin man, wearing an open face balaclava, a snood and woolly hat over my head, tastefully adorned with a headtorch and eyepatch, my wife was stopped in her tracks and was actually speechless for a few seconds. Her wide eyed, silent, genuinely amazed look told me something along the lines of 'What have I married here?' or 'That's it, he's finally gone' was floating around in her head. I think she struggled to find something sensible to say next......

Barry

I can't believe SWMBO was rendered speechless. :p

There are many wonders in the universe , the fact that someone's SWMBO is speechless ranks up there with the top ones ;)

I did say speechless 'for a few seconds', and 'struggled', so, you know....

I've posted this pic before on another thread.

BUT! You know your an astronomer when you can see Jupiter in your cappuccino!

post-15373-13534127077_thumb.jpg

Hahaha..the other half spotted Jupiter the moment I opened the picture larger...but she like to mess with my telescope too.. ooeer missus!!

Seriously though, you know your an Astronomer when you;

• Consider moving to a Mountain Home
  • Consider moving into the desert
  • Have taken your Land Rover to Morocco for the night sky instead of the camping Safari!!
  • Buy a Land rover simply to move your telescopes to dark Sky locations.
  • Spot all the space technology and Astronomical errors in films and TV shows
  • Have Astronomical software on all of your computers, tablet and smart phone..along with accurate compasses to ensure you know true North at all times!
  • Consider visiting your mother in laws village home just so you can build a remotely controlled observatory there so you have dark skies for the majority of the year as she lives only 38° north of the equator!!

Archived