Narrowband

You know you're an astronomer when...

Josh Wilson

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you set your alarm for 4.30am to catch some of the orionid meteor shower, spend an hour in the garden wishing the neighbours didn't leave a light on at night, and you don't see one meteor.

I'm going back to bed... After one more glance outside...

You know...........astronomer, when there's another no show for a meteor shower...

....when you spend less time following the plot of a Sci-Fi film but instead keep focusing on the star filled backdrop to see if you can recognize any of the constellations, only to conclude to the other half who IS following the story that the background is fake! :grin: :grin:

I have often entertained the notion of taking movie stills with star light backgrounds and trying to plate solve them....

...when, while watching a film or TV programme, your attention is drawn to an orange cylindrical object on a tripod in the background instead of the crucial plot moment.

And you can name the make, model, focal length and price of said object

Could be the start of a new hobby - scope spotting

...you look forward to a couple of hours stuck on the M4.

...you've replaced the fridge light with a red bulb.

James

All joking aside that's a seriously good idea! How many times have I got my eyes all light adjusted and then gone to get a beer with my eyes squeezed shut???

When you keep bumping into things (such as parked cars which of course triggers the car alarm) while you're walking the dog after dark, since you're constantly looking upwards.

*Note to self - don't read this thread while drinking hot coffee*

You know you're an astronomer when...

You have a better collection of silly hats than your kids!

You examine sheds in B&Q to see how easily the roof rolls off.....

When you're wife is looking for the hairdrier, she asks you first...........

You spend time wondering if you could get light pollution glasses...... (I'm patenting that by the way)

You know when you're an astronomer when your chest hurts for three weeks cos you tripped over in the pitch dark at a star party on the way back from the loos and fell in a bunch of staked sapplings - only to be bathed in red light from head torches with everyone saying "It's only Kim - he's drunk again" lol :)

(Yep - it happened to me at Kelling Spring 2012)

You know when you're an astronomer when your chest hurts for three weeks cos you tripped over in the pitch dark at a star party on the way back from the loos and fell in a bunch of staked sapplings - only to be bathed in red light from head torches with everyone saying "It's only Kim - he's drunk again" lol :)

(Yep - it happened to me at Kelling Spring 2012)

Haha. That's awesome - especially the red light from the head torches part!

Archived