Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Josh Wilson

You know you're an astronomer when...

I've seen alot of "You know you're an astronomer when..." pages on the internet, but none of them are very funny, and only apply to very, very specific situations that only a few astronomers might encounter. I've thought of a few of my own here:

You know you're an astronomer when...

You no longer enjoy the song "Twinkle, Twinkle Little star" because you find it factually incorrect and twinkling stars are bad because it indicates an unstable atmosphere.

Your entire left side of your face is sunburned after an eclipse. (For Dob owners :grin:)

For you, everything was invented by a guy named John. (Again for Dob owners...)

You look up every time you go outside, even though you know where every star is all the time.

You know the phase of the moon at any given time or day.

"Waxing" no longer has anything to do with cleaning your car, but rather strikes fear in your heart and you become depressed because you wanted to photograph the Andromeda Galaxy.

Thats all I can come up with right now, maybe when I'm feeling more creative :grin: :grin: :grin:...

Feel free to post your own and have fun!!!

• Like 10

...you look forward to a couple of hours stuck on the M4.

...you stay out all night and your partner doesn't think you're seeing someone else.

...you've replaced the fridge light with a red bulb.

...when you want to move house you only view after dark and always check the garden first

...you check the phase of the moon when arranging social events

James

• Like 26

...you stay out all night and your partner doesn't think you're seeing someone else.

...when you want to move house you only view after dark and always check the garden first

James

Would it very wrong of me to admit to some of these? :D

• Like 5

You look up every time you go outside, even though you know where every star is all the time.

You know the phase of the moon at any given time or day.

Not to mention wheeling yourself off of a curb in a wheelchair while looking upwards every time you go outside.

Been there..........done that a few times.

• Like 5

You know you're an astronomer when you go to a star party and realise that everyone is called eitther Dave or Steve and the oddball wondering round on his own looking at scopes is called Kevin lol :)

• Like 6

You know you're an astronomer when......

you happily stand outside in the freezing cold, when suffering from a cold, looking up, giving yourself a worse neck when you already have a bad neck looking at things that have never moved since you were a small child, and giggling out loud like an even smaller child when he sees a tiny round ball with some tiny rings going around it through an expensive lump of metal and mirrors.

None of that rubbish is for me. I just like to sit about and watch the Simpsons.....

;)

Scott.

• Like 3

"You know you're an astronomer when..."

Your wife has a knowing look on her face and you can't find your credit card!

Now where did she out the damn thing?

You know you're an astronomer when:

You start doing alterations to door openings throughout the house to get that "big Dob" in ;)

Hmmm.....

You know your an astronomer when you have a nice bruise on (insert body part here and cuss words) after banging into your mount/scope in excitement at getting to the eyepiece lol

You know your an astronomer when you trip over your power cable and pull the power to your mount

Mostly newbie mistakes (I am still a newbie lol)

You know your an astronomer when someone says out loud 'oh look at that bright star...' you suddenly turn into Patrick Moore and inform them they are wrong and point out that 'star' is not a star at all and is in fact Jupiter, a huge gas giant and IF you have a scope check out the red spot as it transits at X time tonight......

• Like 1

Brantuk that's uncanny description of just about any kind of gathering I have been to , not just astronomy based !

• Like 2

James

Cracking idea! Where can I get one? ;)

James

True Story James :D Since May, I've been looking exactly for a house with a garden in a dark area, possibly facing south! Obviously with no luck.... :D

• You know you're an astronomer when you climb the poles of the street lights to cover them with boxes :D :D :D (well, the street lights of the town where I used to live as a small kid have been victim of worse things to be honest, let's not get into details :p)
  • Like 3

....you get physically aroused by green writing on black,

....you know what ^^this^^ means!

....you have dug half your garden up and filled the resulting hole full of concrete.

....you happily spend thousands on a new scope, field flattener, cooled CCD, filters, but baulk at spending £40 on a dewshield.

....you have a drawer full of M3, M4 and UNC screws.

• Like 4

....you get physically aroused by green writing on black,

Errmm. Too much information :)

James

• Like 4

......you are actually looking forward to the clocks going back when everyone around you is moaning about

the nights getting longer!

• Like 10

...when your son asks you to shut the hell up about Jupiter, he's trying to watch The Big Bang Theory on E4.

• Like 2

That one particular made me laugh! :-D

• Like 1

When you look in the mirror and one of your eyes lids is now naturally wider than the other. :eek:

• Like 1

...when your first thought when looking at a new car is, "Can I fit my scope in there?"

• Like 4