Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Parallelogram mount recommendations

ismangil

Thinking of properly mounting my bins, and since I have zero DIY skills, any recommendations where to get one?

I found only Orion on scsastro and the AE one on Pulsar Optical.

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

I cannot comment on those mounts, apart from that they are quite costly. If you are only using 10x50 bins, I would not recommend a P-mount at all. I never used my 10x50s on the P-mount. A reclining chair is the much better (and cheaper) option. As all 10x50s are straight-through bins, observing near zenith becomes a strain on the neck. A reclining chair solves all that. A tall monopod may be much more useful, as it is much more mobile. Setting up a p-mount negates part of the binocular's charm, i.e. zero setup time. This is why I even use the 15x70s without mounting most often. A monopod does not suffer from that problem

Many of the wooden DIY designs are actually quite easy. I made mine with no power tools except a drill.

Perry, I endorse what Michael has said. The only time I mount a 10x50 is at star parties, so others can see what it is pointed at. IMO, a P-mount is only really useful for big binoculars with angled eyepieces. Of the two P-mounts that you mentioned, there is a review of the Orion one somewhere on Cloudy Nights. As Michael has said, you can make one -- at least as good as either of those -- with minimal DIY skills; I can point you to plans if you want to follow this course (and, I am sure, Michael will do the same).

If you are going to buy a P-mount, the only ones I have seen that I think are worth buying are those from Universal Astronomics; they are most certainly not cheap but Larry Patriarca, the man who makes them, has put a lot of wisdom and experience into the design, and puts a lot of pride in his workmanship. They ooze quality. (Yes, I'm probably biased: I have a T-mount and wouldn't be without it. :laugh: )

For 10x50 bins you really dont need to invest in a mount for them. A simple reclining deck chair is suffice. There is something out there called a Sky Window which is essentially a vice grip for the bins and a mirror. They are very overpriced though for what they are.

Sky Window:

post-5361-0-00424400-1350785205_thumb.jp

Hi ismangil, i love using binoculars.... and hate the pain in the neck "stadning" mounts create.

I bought the orion P-mount from SCSastro. With a simple mod of the head bracket.... added an IKEA wood "L" bookshelf bracket.... turned it into an amazing smooth, light paraellogram mount that is perfect for my 15x50canons.

I need to take a photo to show you. The mod is simple-ish.... and you can lay on a recliner and soak in the views for hrs.

I highly recommend a parallelogram. The sheer joy and comfort they provide, for me out weights the hassle. You will literally use yours bins for hrs and hrs per session.

I love them so much i even made a home made one for my Helios Quantum 7.4 (30kg!).... they turned a heap of neck pain... into a pleasure to use... giving beautiful views that you can soak in on a recliner.

Archived