SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Got one Nagler ..... what next?

pjmaciw

I was expecting a real treat when we popped the 35mm on the F4.4 dob, I was expecting the double cluster to really ping out, and though I didn't noticing any blackening issues, it looked dimmer than I thought it should. A nice view, but it felt like some light was missing!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would try to hunt for secondhand Naglers (most of my EPs are secondhand). I have looked through an F/4.2 scope with both the 22T4 and 26T5, and the views are stunning. The 31T5 loses light at that focal ratio (image still looks good, it is just a bit dimmer than it should be). You could also look at the Explore Scientific 82 deg range. Very good EPs.

• 1 year later...

I have tried many Naglers over the past couple of years & would always go for the T1  &T2 types as they are much cheaper than second hand T5/T6s and optics are very comparable, but older ones do weigh more. I have T1 7mm,  T1 9mm, T2 12mm, T2 16mm & T1 20mm (the holy hand grenade). The 9mm, 12mm & 16mm are dual fit which is also useful

stu

There was a 16mm T2 Nagler on e.bay a couple of days ago that really did look to be in mint condition - the seller claimed it had not been used and it looked it. The price was £140 as a BiN and it didn't last long of course.

In my 10" f/4.5 dob my default eyepiece is a 20mm  T5 Nagler. this eyepiece rules in a 10' scope due to its contrast, field of view, light weight and general ease of use.

TBH I have tried pretty much all the long length Naglers and I can't see a better option for a fast 10" scope. 

For me the 26mm offers too low a mag to get first chance in the focuser.  Do you really want a 'Veil nebula' and a few other object only eyepiece or a good all rounder. for big occasional objects the 26mm and 31mm are great but for default (first in the focuser every time) eyepiece the 20mm T5 is about as good as you'll ever need.

For me the 20mm T5 hasn't got enough eye relief, but I can see it would live in a focuser for those without glasses. At Olly's place my 22T4, and occasionally 17T4 were in the focuser of the big Dob almost the whole time. For a few wider objects the 31T5 and Olly's 26T5 made the odd cameo appearance, with the Nagler 12t4 and Pentax XW10 doing sterling service on the odd planet and planetary

There was a 16mm T2 Nagler on e.bay a couple of days ago that really did look to be in mint condition - the seller claimed it had not been used and it looked it. The price was £140 as a BiN and it didn't last long of course.

Bought my T2 16mm for £120 inc p&p but £140 is top of range

Bought my T2 16mm for £120 inc p&p but £140 is top of range

I agree. This one did appear from the photos to be really in absolutely mint, unused condition. Had the original paper work, and packaging and not a mark anywhere on it. I can see why the seller felt it might be worth trying for a few quid more and the market clearly agreed as it sold very quickly.

As you can see from my signature, I have a set of TV EPs and one black sheep. I love them all. Try a wide-field EP and then make your decision. If you love the space walk experience then go for it. The 21 ethos is one of the best EPs I have owned but it will lighten your wallet, but love is not free. The 31 is great and the delos EPs are also of excellent quality. Once you go green and black you will never go back. Think it through because you will become addicted. clear skies.

As you can see from my signature, I have a set of TV EPs and one black sheep. I love them all. Try a wide-field EP and then make your decision. If you love the space walk experience then go for it. The 21 ethos is one of the best EPs I have owned but it will lighten your wallet, but love is not free. The 31 is great and the delos EPs are also of excellent quality. Once you go green and black you will never go back. Think it through because you will become addicted. clear skies.

How practical is a 2.5mm ep as magnification will be beyond the limit of most scopes except those of 400 - 600mm focal length

How practical is a 2.5mm ep as magnification will be beyond the limit of most scopes except those of 400 - 600mm focal length

I had a 2.5 t6 for a while, but found that it was just too much for my scopes at the time. I could probably use one in the Genesis or FS-60 with their focal lengths (500 & 355), but have other ways of getting there such as a barlowed ortho or Nag zoom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived