Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heart Nebula with 200mm lens and astrotrac

Dave Smith

This was taken on Tues evening 16th October 2012.

My intention was to get 3 hours worth of 5 minute subs but the weather had other plans :embarassed: so this is 70 mins in 5 minute subs.

It was a difficult object to find as even in a full 5 minute sub, the nebulosity was hardly visible. (see below)

Camera: Canon 40D with 200mm f2.8 lens at 800iso.

Heart-02.jpg

and here is a single unprocessed sub. The blue is due to the CLS filter.

IMG_1670.jpg

I did wonder if I had found the Double Cluster except there is some nebulosity just visible.

Dave

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Olly. My original intention was to get both the heart and soul but without goto simply found it difficult to identify where the camera was pointing. I cannot tell that the heart was present in that single sub.

I may have another go using my NEQ6 mount.

Dave

Thats very nice, Love the wide field, so much going on

and the colours look very good,

If your sky conditions are any thing like mine then the use of the clip filter

is a must, but it does make it hard to see if your on target.

well done Dave

Paul

Beautiful image Dave, results like this are making the Astrotrac more and more appealing as a purchase rather than a big ol' scope and mount.

Thank you. I must admit by being surprised as to how good the astrotrac is. It is however quite expensive when you cost in geared heads. Fortunately I already had a 405 geared head which makes the polar alignment a doddle and already had an NEQ6 tripod that was redundant (I also already have a carbon fibre tripod should I wish to take it overseas) but did need to get a 410 geared head for on top of the astrotrac. A ball head that I already had would tend to slip.

Dave

Thanks Themos for the suggestion of using astrometry.net. I usually use EQmod and have no trouble finding a target. My intention with the astrotrac is to normally only use it at star parties where I wouldn't have any signal to access the web. If it should be a regular problem, I guess I will need to sort out using my mobile phone as a modem.

I don't know which camera Olly was using to get all three in a single frame, but with my 40D it is only just possible to get the Heart and Soul. I would have to make a mosaic.

The sub shown above is my full frame and the processed image is only slightly cropped. What looks a bit like the double cluster in the sub is actually within the heart nebula.

Dave

Think I'll have to download astrometry.net and see how it works though I can usually find things now I have a wide-field long exposure imaging system I can use as a finder.

Archived