SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

QHY 5-II colour planetary / guide camera

Leebert

Hi all,

I recently applied to test a new as yet unreleased version of the QHY5-II camera. It is a 1/3 inch 1.2 megapixel camera available in mono and colour (I have the colour version) for planetary and guiding use.

It arrived yesterday and, although I haven't tried it properly in anger, I have a few initial thoughts.

Installation of the drivers was straight forward and, with a restart of the PC I was getting images. I had hoped to get an image of Jupiter but sadly cloud stopped play :(

The camera itself comes packaged in a metal box and is a nice anodised aluminum cased unit with a separate locking ring. The camera is 1.25" in diameter and therefore can be used as an eyepiece would be used. This is good news for me personally as I want to try it directly in a PST without the need of a barlow to gain focus. The small lanyard is so you can secure it to something solid as it could slide into the OTA of a Newt say and land on the mirror!

The rear of the camera has the USB connection, an ST4 port for guiding and a tiny red LED. The QE for this colour camera is slightly better than the original mono QHY5.

I look forward to testing out on Jupiter, the Sun and the Moon.

I will post some images as soon as I have them.

Regards,

Lee

post-16053-0-65297100-1350563620_thumb.j

post-16053-0-47211800-1350563646_thumb.j

post-16053-0-36552900-1350563780_thumb.j

post-16053-0-50530300-1350563920_thumb.j

post-16053-0-24882100-1350564638.txt

I had a brief (very) look at the Sun with the camera and it is close to a full disc but not quite sadly. A 2 or possibly 3 panel mosaic would do it. That's a pity for me personally as I would have liked to capture the whole disk in one. A 1/2 inch chip like that in the original QHY5 would have got it with plenty of room to spare. There's never a 'one gadget does all' solution in Astronomy is there! Of course, a 1/2 inch chip camera would allow me to capture the sun in one but Jupiter for instance would appear smaller as viewed in the camera. Still, nothing that a barlow wouldn't fix :)

Images of something will appear here as soon as the cloud goes away :)

I saw one these cameras at PSP 2012. The person was given to do some testing / reviews of it. I must say it was absolutely tiny. The lanyard made it look more like a flash drive!! I do not know any more details than what I have read online. i did see someone posting about it on CN back in June, saying they had been given one for review purposes.

Ian

I've got one but I'm still struggling to get it to work with PHD. As for imaging well I'm still waiting for a decent night to give it a go although the capture software I found was pretty basic.

I agree - a colour camera is not ideal for the Sun or Moon. However, I'm all up for trying out this cute little camera on anything I could see. The Sun did appear for a short while today so out came the PST. Here is the result of two 1000 frame stacks blended together.

I hope to give it a shot on the Moon and Jupiter tonight if the weather plays ball.

post-16053-0-51592300-1351363753_thumb.j

Archived