Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opening a Roll Off Roof.

astro mick

You could even replace the bungee with a pulley system attached to some weights.

Make the weights a tank which can hold some water. Fill the tank from a tap above and the roof will open itself. Open a tap at the bottom of the weight to empty it and the roof would close itself. Haven't thought that through in detail but in principle it would work.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've ordered one of those winches from ebay as mentioned by Jim, The Sailor, above :- http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

Something else to play with :D I'm getting a bit fed up with cameras :Envy: Motors, ropes and pulleys are easier on the eyes :shocked::D

Now I shall have to find a power supply for it :D I have a selection of ex PC PSUs maybe one of those will give enough current.

Now I shall have to find a power supply for it :D I have a selection of ex PC PSUs maybe one of those will give enough current.

Gina, I have an old 12v car battery attached to it and that in turn is trickle charged by a 12v solar panel which has been on the observatory roof almost a year now and works well.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d358910b2

A switch x 2 turns it from charging to operating.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a1ec35ffd

Jim

PS. I looked for the cheapest ones :D.

Thanks Jim :) Since the starting current will be a lot higher than once the roof's moving, I think a car battery would be be a good idea. Another would be to use my jump starter (which contains a high power 12v battery). As for charging a 12v battery, no problem, either solar or mains powered. I have mains power in my obsy.

I use a double pully in the obs with eye bolts either end of the roll off roof, only a manual pull at the moment, but a double chamberd winch pully would do the job, one rope wound the opposite way on the motor to open/close.

pully_zps3c91fbab.jpg

Yes, I might do something similar - thank you :) Now I've got the winch I can see where it'll fit in. Then I can see where I can route the rope etc. One scheme I had in mind was to have a loop of rope with a spring tensioner, with the rope driven by a pulley on the motor/winch, but I think winding rope in and winding rope out might be a better option. I'll report my findings - as usual :)

I think I have a plan but need to open the roof to check and it's raining ATM. Here's a rough diagram - not to scale :D ROR in dark green, frame and runner in light green, rope in blue, pulley black.

post-13131-0-86234600-1351175023_thumb.p

Hi Gina.

My efforts so far.

I have aquired a boat winch,and mounted it just inside the doorway.Above the winch i have mounted two pulley blocks,the second at the top of the wall.The rope passes through the pulleys and out of the Obsy.On the far Roof suport beam,i will be mounting a heavy duty upright pulley,central to the Roof.

The rope will run from the Obsy,to the underside of the pulley,then around and back to the Roll off Roof,where it will be hooked onto a "J"Bolt fastened to the roof.

Hope fully winding the winch will open the roof.

To close the roof,i will remove the rope from the outside pulley,and anchor it directly to another bolt on the inside of the roof. Again winding the winch should close the roof.

I realise this is,nt a closed system,but if it works i will be happy.

One change in the future,will be to replace the winch with a motor,as the ratchet is very noisey.

My neighbours wont be amused by that.

Mick

At least by keeping the ropes outside the Obsy,i,m less like to strangle myself in the dark,unless i wander outside!!!!

Archived