SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

10mm Pentax xw or 9mm Nagler

crazyjedi

I am looking into an EP at around the 9-10mm focal length. I was thinking of either the 10mm Pentax XW or 9mm TV Nagler.

I like the look of both ranges and will look into the 7mm EP from which ever brand I start with, for my next purchase.

Both EP's are of a similar price so which should I go for?

Just to confuse the matter - How does the Celestron Luminos stack up against these two for what appears to be a bargain price?

Cheers :cool:

I have the XW 10mm and 7mm and they are great. I use them for planetary work, as my scope is F/10, so for me a huge FOV is not the issue. I assume yours is F/5 (or is it the 150PL which is F/8). I compared the 10mm XW to my 12mm Nagler, and I find the transparency of the XW10 just tops that of the Nagler 12. It also is a shade sharper in my opinion. The 9mm Nagler has considerably less eye relief than the XW 10, so if you wear glasses this might be an issue.

I wonder why you are aiming for a 9 or 10mm first, as you already have a 12mm Radian. A 5 or 7mm EP might be better (unless the Plossls have that covered).

I've owned and used both. I'm a great fan of the Nagler T6's but I have to say that, after some time, I've been swayed by the XW's now. The 10mm XW is probably the best in that range and a gem of an eyepiece. Setting aside the field of view and eye relief differences, the optical performance of the two is pretty close but I've found XW's just seem have a little more light throughput and slightly better control of light scatter around bright objects. Small differences but they just make picking out the subtlest planetary detail or faint planetary moon or other point source that little bit easier.

I've not used a Celestron Luminos and I expect it's a very nice eyepiece but I'd be surprised if it was quite as good as either the Nagler or the XW.

<p>I have also owned the 9mm t6 Nagler and like Michael, now own the 7 & 10mm XW's. The 9mm Nagler is a lovey eyepiece, small, lightweight and sharp as a razor! I personally found the eye relief of the t6 Naglers a little tight though, and as a consequence used to suffer from mild eye strain.

The XW's on the other hand are so comfortable and easy to use. The eye relief at 20mm is actually more than I need, but it does give me the option of observing with my glasses on or off. That, plus the fact its slightly sharper, has better light throughput and a more neutral colour tone wins the day for me :-)

Yes I did consider the Delos but it is another £40 more expensive which I suppose isn't a huge sum on the grand scheme of things.

Now I'm still confused. Even discounting the Nagler T6 I still can't decide - Delos or XW.

I will probably go down the Pentax route. A 10mm Delos is around £40 more than the XW on it's own but if I get the 7mm too then we're closer to £80 difference. £80 is a lot of beer money!

TH have TV EPs on sale until December, somewhat narrows the price difference down. More so if your chosen Pentax supplier charges shipping.

Sorry I can't give anything constructive otherwise.

You have been really helpful - I'm not so struck on the TV Nagler T6 anymore. I had considered the Delos before but decided to go with the T6 vs XW as I've known of their solid reputations.

The Delos is the new kid on the block - and seems to have a virtually untouchable reputation. - - But I do love the look of the XW and always have. hmm choices. Aren't they horrible :grin:

A little while back while visiting an astro buddy I had a peek of a couple of globs through a 13T6... lovely sharp view, plenty of ER (at least for me). I wish I'd taken my ES82 14mm, as it's impossible to make a comparison on a different night, different sky and different scope. Also (in an ideal test-drive world) l'd like to do the same comparison throwing the Ethos into the mix, my EPs do seem to be getting bigger and heavier somehow :eek: I do like the T6 form factor however, perfect for grab and go :D

I think that if you would prefer an 82 degree field of view, in a light and compact format and do not wear glasses whilst observing, then the 9mm nagler T6 is a worthy contender. I enjoy the sharp views of larger Globulars and open clusters, and with my C8, Jupiter with all four moons, in this eyepiece. However as the general consensus favours the Pentax XW this, I do not doubt, will be a truly marvellous optic.

One other point worth mentioning, TV eyepieces seem to come up quite frequently on the second hand market, perhaps more so than Pentax, therefore saving some money. I just purchased a 7MM nagler T6 this way, completing my nagler / TV obsession (I hope).

Yes there are a few nice looking Naglers in the classified section right now.

Have never seen a Pentax XW (yet) in the classified section. It's quite possible that once you buy one you never let it go - I've never heard a bad word said about them.

I have just got a 10mm Delos and though I have not been able to use it a great deal I have to say, my it is one heck of an eyepiece, sharp is not the word!

Alan.

Congratulations Alan :smiley:

Tele Vue used the tag line "tack sharp !" for the Panoptics - I wonder what term they can find to improve on that !

I have given the Delos 10mm and Pentax 10mm a few nights of side by side comparison in a 10" f/4.7 Dob. They are almost too close to call. You wouldn't be disappointed with either. For my eyes the Pentax was just marginally brighter and as I am mainly a DSO observer, this is key for me. I now have 7, 10, 14, & 20mm XW's and will probably add a 5mm at Christmas.

I have given the Delos 10mm and Pentax 10mm a few nights of side by side comparison in a 10" f/4.7 Dob. They are almost too close to call. You wouldn't be disappointed with either.

If you like 70˚ EP's then what a great selection though eh? :)

I'm still waiting for the 8mm Delos then I'II have x2 XW's and x2 Delos in 1 1/4" and I find it very easy switching between the TV's and XW's.

Those with the Pentax XWs, would you be kind enough to spare a minute or two and provide the barrel diameters please?

If you mean the fitting size, the 3.5mm to 20mm XW's are 1.25" inch and the 30mm and 40mm are 2".

If you mean the wideest part of the eyepiece body, I have the 3.5mm and 5mm XW's and they are 60mm at the widest part.

If you mean the wideest part of the eyepiece body, I have the 3.5mm and 5mm XW's and they are 60mm at the widest part.

Ta, should have said body of course!

Nothing beats empirical action for gaining knowledge, it must be said.

Archived