Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why get binoculars?

jnb

I have 22 yrs observing under my belt purley using a pair of 10X50 bins. I have 3 pair of 10X50. The Bresser 10x50 i bought from Lidl a few yrs ago for less then 20 quid are by far the best ones i have. About 5 yrs ago i bought a 90mm refractor scope on an EQ mount and within 6 months decided i hate the EQ mount, so i bought a pair of 20X90 Strathspey bins.

The Straths are too big and heavy to hold so i also bought a Horizon 8115 tripod for them at the same time.

I always say that astronomy using bins and astronomy using a scope are two very different things.

Which do i prefer?

I will ALWAYS say that i prefer bins.

Even though i now have an 8" SCT as my main scope that i use, i ALWAYS have a pair of bins (usually my Bresser 10x50) by my side when observing because i love to casually sweep across the night sky with them and take in the wider FOV that they offer as against a scope.

I would say that most people here have a pair of 10x50 and use them often...............even if they have a scope.

I'd be lost without a pair of bins.

Are BIG bins worth investing in?

It really depends on what you like and can afford. Yes they offer you aperture, but they dont offer you the magnification like a scope does.

If you are hummin and hawing over a scope, then i'd say buy a simple pair of 10x50 until you decide which way you want to go.

Paul

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I've just picked up a pair of Meade 10x50 for £39 (fortunately Telescope House is not too far from my office so I was able to go and look at them in person).

I looked at the Revelation 15x70 but decided against them on the basis that they would be too heavy to hold for any long period of time. Even though they were far lighter than I would have expected I would only really use them for short durations unless I was to get a tripod and mount which immediately makes them less of an advantage over a telescope. Also the 10x50 are small enough that can can serve as dual purpose for terrestial use which I probably wouldn't do with 15x70. Had I got the 15x70 I would have immediately wanted to get a tripod and bracket for them which would eat into any future scope budget. And finally I did wonder if the collimation was out on the Revelations as I could feel my eyes doing that brief double take as they bring the images together so the Meade were not only more comfortable to hold but more comfortable to look through.

Of course now having played with them last night for the ten minutes between my son going to bed and cloud coming over I'm wondering if I should have got the 15x70 after all. Excellent views on the moon's terminator but not really enough time to try anything else seriously.

The 10x50s are the ultimate grab and go bins whereas the 15x70s would need a tripod for optimum use and although they would show you more objects (70mm objective lenses gather 96% more light grasp than the 50mm) the weight and setup time negates the convenience of bins (although not by much). You might be better off buying a small scope for extended observing sessions and magnification work.

10x50s are great for starters, they can be hand-held, but they are a bit more of a challenge than say 7x50 bins. This means you train yourself in holding them stably. When the moon is out, there is not that much you can do with them, because they are mainly DSO instruments. In dark skies they are great. I got my 15x70s much later, after having learnt to hold 10x50s with no problems, and love them.

I still have my dad old 10x40's and use them regularly, because it's so much easier than setting the scope up every time I want to observe. Sometimes I just can't be bothered to carry it all downstairs, put it together, polar align it.... Much easier to grab the bins from the top of the bookcase, get a chair and head outside for a few hours. :)

Binos are the ultimate in portability and ease of use. If you don't want to pay too much to find out try these:-

http://www.7dayshop....inoculars&sl=sl

Don't be put off by the low price. I have a couple of pairs. 10 and 12X50s. The BAK-4 prisms really let the light through and have a 6.5 degree FOV (10X50). Under dark skies they are quite simply amazing for the cost. Even in light polluted skies it is possible to see Jupiter's moons with them on a clear night. :laugh:

Baz.

Bak-4 for £25 delivered? What's the catch? :D

Anyone else used this, I was looking for a cheap upgrade to my Celestron UpClose Bak-7 binos as they're quite soft at the edges.

Bak-4 for £25 delivered? What's the catch? :D

Anyone else used this, I was looking for a cheap upgrade to my Celestron UpClose Bak-7 binos as they're quite soft at the edges.

No catch dude. Just a great pair of binos at a great price, like the ad says equivalent quality to £45 binos. But don't hang around, they won't be there for ever. 1 benefit of 7dayshop is they're off-shore so you don't have to pay any VAT.

Baz.

I think every amateur should have a pair of 10x50's (anything larger, with a tripod!, would be a bonus, but no replacement for a nice handheld pair)... first off, there are certain celestial objects in the sky which you simply cannot fully appreciate with a telescope. The Hyades, Collinder 399, M24, "Kemble's Cascade", etc, etc. They're not just a 'place to start' in astronomy. I go back to my binoculars all the time when I'm under a dark sky. It's a whole different perspective. Of course the day time terrestrial applications are just a bonus.

With that in miind... some day I'm going to get myself a pair of these... :)

898167-P1010018%20(3).JPG

I think every amateur should have a pair of 10x50's (anything larger, with a tripod!, would be a bonus, but no replacement for a nice handheld pair)... first off, there are certain celestial objects in the sky which you simply cannot fully appreciate with a telescope. The Hyades, Collinder 399, M24, "Kemble's Cascade", etc, etc. They're not just a 'place to start' in astronomy. I go back to my binoculars all the time when I'm under a dark sky. It's a whole different perspective. Of course the day time terrestrial applications are just a bonus.

With that in miind... some day I'm going to get myself a pair of these... :)

898167-P1010018%20(3).JPG

Those look neat!

You can get a 4 degree field in a small apo with a widefield EP but even so it's great to cruise the sky hand held and uncluttered, I think..

Olly

I got up to 5.76 deg in the 80mm with 40mm Paragon, and 5.3 with the 31mm Nagler. The latter gives me a better exit pupil, and gives stunning wide-field views. Even though the view is a good deal wider (and brighter) than the 15x70 bins, I still use the bins much more. Last summer in France I had all the kit along (Vive le Renault Espace!! :D), but I did not use the 80mm once. The C8, binocular combo had most bases covered. I did miss the opportunity to have a look at the North America Nebula and Pelican, or the Veil though the 80mm with 31 T5, which should be awesome.

Wheee, 5.76 degrees is rather a marvellous prospect! My 26 Nagler in the elderly Pronto gives a paltry 4.35 degrees and I thought that was pretty exciting.

Olly

It is great. However, the 6.7mm exit pupil is a bit much. The 5.17mm exit pupil when using the 31mm at "only" 5.3 deg is better, I feel. Your 26mm would get 4.44 deg in my scope.

• 2 months later...

I'm new to the forum, but I'll dive right in:

I've been wondering if in the short term I should get a pair of big binoculars while I hum and ha about what sort of telescope(s) I might get. Looking at some of the prices it seems that there are some stuff out there at the budget end but most semi decent binoculars cost quite a bit, for example pentax 10x50 porros for £150. Now for £150 I can buy a semi decent refractor with a larger aperture, a selection of lenses and a tripod.

So what's the advantage of binoculars?

Apart from all the practical arguments for binocs, that others have already mentioned (and which I agree with), I'll add an emotional one. To me, there is something wonderfully relaxed about binocular astronomy. All the hassle, preparations, planning and fiddling with telescopes goes away. The best analogy I can think of is diving, if you are familiar with it. Telescopes are like SCUBA and binocs are like free-diving, what you lose in performance you gain in a sense of freedom. One of the most satisfying observing experiences I have had was one summer a few years ago when me and my wife spent many nights in deck chairs under dark skies, sipping wine and letting our binoculars roam the skies. I would advice anyone in the hobby to get at least a pair of 10x50's, it is well worth the investment.

That said, if I had to choose either binocs or telescopes only for the rest of my life, then I would take the scope and never look back. But the investment in a decent pair of binocs is so small there is no excuse not to have them (and it enhances the scope experiences as well).

Steve

Binoculars are exceptionally easy to use, no set up time and are excellent for learning the skies, and most importantly do allow you to see much more stars than the naked eyes. I often find they are under rated. Everyone should have a pair, a cheap pair will do, for now you dont need to spend £150 on a pair, you can pick up a decent pair of second hand 10x50 for £50. Keep an eye out on classifieds and astrobuysell. Good Luck

Hi and welcome to SGL

Repeating some of what's been said above get yourself a basic pair of 7x50 or 10x50 bins, fully multi-coated lenses, porro prism design and BaK4 prisms (higher quality glass so greater light transmission). Check this pair out:

http://www.telescope...cial_Offer.html

HTH!

These binoculars recommended by onesmallstep look to be good value, I used to have Russian 10 x 50 binos, found them to be a bit heavy so I now use 8 x 42 as recommended by Capricorn above.

These smaller binos tend to be more pocket friendly and not as heavy hanging round your neck on the strap. I keep the binos handy when I'm using my spotting scope for either stargazing or wildlife, it is easier to pick up your intended target with them & point the scope in the right direction.

I just zip up my coat with the binos inside to keep them out of the way & unzip to use them, hanging round your neck reduces the chance of dropping them.

Yes I have dropped some fairly expensive binos, damage was terminal...............

These binoculars recommended by onesmallstep look to be good value,
They are much better value when they are sold with the Bresser branding by Lidl (usually around £15). You should also be aware that they are not true 10x50 -- optically, they are about 10x43 (and, contrary to what Meade's advertising says, the exit pupil is not 5mm). If you are looking at spending that sort of money on binoculars, very little more will get you the Oly DPS1, which is altogether a better binocular (£43 at time of writing).

And unlike dogs, scopes don't always follow you around. Binoculars, on the other hand, are much more like dogs in that way.

When I was separated from my astro-gear for a time I did quite a bit of fairly satisfying observing through a pair of 8x23 pocket-binocs of questionable quality. I wouldn't exactly recommend it but it sure beat my bare eyes. On the other hand I have a friend at the astronomy club who can't be bothered looking up unless there is a 16" dob and some Ethoses involved. Horses for courses, I suppose.

Have learnt my way around the sky with Bins....thought about a scope...but without knowing where to point it, it was 'pointless' (sorry for that pun)....

Now nearly a year later I am more informed on scopes, and have made my first purchase.... but the Bins will alwys be there...

Archived