Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Astrosurf

Newbie Images?

62 posts in this topic

Zakkhogan, I wish I could produce images like that! I'm using Celestron 114eq... And Xbox webcam.. The plan was, when I got hooked, to save and buy proper equipment. So I saved. As it turned out- for a wedding :D And now with baby on a way... No observatory for poor me, I'm afraid.

Maybe one day I'll put my photos for a ridicule here, so you can be a bit more proud of yours. You should be ;)

When did you ever see an image ridiculed on SGL? I'm quite certain that anyone ridiculing the efforts of another on here would be doing so in his last post.

Olly

1 person likes this

Olly you are spot on. I have never seen anything but positive comment and encouragement on every image posted on SGL.

If I may, I have another take on this thread. When I came back into this hobby after a break of 25 years I was fortunate to have a healthy budget and have, I think, invested in a lot of the 'high end' kit. However, some 18 months in I have produced just one image which I deem worthy of the equipment, but I only got there by following the wealth of advice and experience available on SGL.

But, I just love setting up the rig, with all it's complexity and having another go. It's a personal trait I think, I have a mountain bike with disk brakes, but next door's dog can outrun me even when I'm pedalling flat out......

2 people like this

Olly you are spot on. I have never seen anything but positive comment and encouragement on every image posted on SGL.

If I may, I have another take on this thread. When I came back into this hobby after a break of 25 years I was fortunate to have a healthy budget and have, I think, invested in a lot of the 'high end' kit. However, some 18 months in I have produced just one image which I deem worthy of the equipment, but I only got there by following the wealth of advice and experience available on SGL.

But, I just love setting up the rig, with all it's complexity and having another go. It's a personal trait I think, I have a mountain bike with disk brakes, but next door's dog can outrun me even when I'm pedalling flat out......

Regarding the mountain bike, I have just discovered the solution myself, the electric mountain bike!

Back on topic, it's the tantalizing fact that it can be done a little better each time which keeps us all motivated, I think.

Olly

1 person likes this

Always better to travel than arrive! - Tony (full of useless cliches)-on topic aperture increase from 8 to 12 inch has lead me almost a year of adjusting and perfecting to get any useful performance from my new scope so large aperture high resolution astrophotgraphy can be a big handicap to results I think -many lessons learnt!

Edited by tony210

Its always a good thing to post your efforts, at least that way its a record of your progress and others can see how your technique improves over time with X processing or Y equipment.

It also acts as a marker for what to improve on, and on what/not to do, or find out which targets are within the limitations of your equipment (and time, and/or location).

3 people like this

Regarding the mountain bike, I have just discovered the solution myself, the electric mountain bike!

Back on topic, it's the tantalizing fact that it can be done a little better each time which keeps us all motivated, I think.

Olly

Thats how I look at it, even if the first clear night in months produces four hours of slightly out of focus images. :rolleyes:

I must be the only fickle one here. For me its the destination that's important not the journey.

I have no issue in spending time getting things working - but it shouldn't be every session that getting things working is a fight.

But for me is the end result that I strive for, every session where the software refuses to work, or guiding is rubbish for no reason is a season where the kit comes a little closer to be drop kicked over the fence.

Every time it goes wrong for no apparent reason, is a step closer to giving up.

I take my hat off the every one who takes an image, who is proud of it and posts it for the world to see.

I've waffled for so long now I've forgot b what I wants to say. Lol

Dinsdale

For me I enjoy the challenges of the back garden tripod approach, as every time I set up it's different to the last. it also helps keep me on my toes regarding knowledge - use it or lose it comes to mind.

In the day time photography world, the idea is to get the shot no one else has, in astronomy it's not the same as the targets don't look different depending on your location, but each image produced is done in a different way.

Sure, technology helps, like plate solving for example, and software stacking, but plonk, point, shoot, share just doesn't do it for me with astrophotography.

1 person likes this

I think AP is a huge journey, two steps forward & one backwards sometimes.

But it's immensely rewarding, I've been on & off for 4 years (I think ) & now setting up again.

I doubt I'll ever get to destination, but it'll good trying

On 16/10/2012 at 17:23, Astrosurf said:

I tend to avoid this section as the images are so often totally unobtainable by a newbie like me and with my basic kit and I sometimes feel like giving up! I know that sounds silly, but it would be so nice to have sections for people with basic kit and basic knowledge just to show what can be achieved with persistence. Not everyone can afford an expensive, cooled CCD camera like an Atik!

Alexxx

Hey I'm a newbie and this is one of my first pictures 

IMG_20160313_220440.jpg

3 people like this

Good job! Taken with a phone?

On 12/6/2015 at 23:41, ollypenrice said:

>snip<

Olly

Well, I'm new at this, less than a year. I enjoy challenges, I enjoy making things work beyond out of the box. I can never blame my equipment until I have proven its faults.

To that end, I like to think, "How can I do better?" Because, after all, it is just a shiny rock, until I pick it up, put it together, turn it on, and do my best with it. Then try to do better.

And isn't that our essence? To try and do better? Like a baby learning to walk?

I enjoy my astronomy. It challenges me to try and do better. My hope would be that others find that.

Now then, back to reconfiguring my equipment. In the hope of finding a better focus... :happy6:

Edited by SonnyE
Spilling. I make mistajes with my spelink.
1 person likes this