Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Astrosurf

Newbie Images?

62 posts in this topic

I tend to avoid this section as the images are so often totally unobtainable by a newbie like me and with my basic kit and I sometimes feel like giving up! I know that sounds silly, but it would be so nice to have sections for people with basic kit and basic knowledge just to show what can be achieved with persistence. Not everyone can afford an expensive, cooled CCD camera like an Atik!

Alexxx

6 people like this

There was a similar post a few weeks back and people started placing their first attempts at imaging up. Ill have a dig and see if I can find it.

it would be nice as we all have to start somewhere

Velvet

2 people like this

Thanks Marc. It would be really good if they could split the POTW section into Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced, or something like that!

Where and when do you stop being a newbie and so cease putting up your images?

Alex you have been on SGL for nearly 5 years and over 2000 posts, are you still a newbie ?

See the problem.

Because I have a learning difficulty that prevents me from getting very far, I will always see myself as a newbie. Thanks for putting that into such sharp focus.

Sorry, didn't mean to be so abrupt! Just get fed up with my painfully slow progress. But I can see how it would be difficult to categorise. Although I do wonder if the fact that most images are so advanced it puts true newbies off.

Didn't know about the Cloudy Nights forum. Thanks for posting, Marc.

1 person likes this

Alex, I just saw your pic of M51 on another forum. Thats brilliant. I would be well chuffed to be producing images like that.

Sent from my galaxy s3 using taptalk 2

You're very kind and have cheered me up no end! But my curse is to be never satisfied. Mind you, when I had a look at one of the subs while I was snapping it I jumped around like an overexcited rabbit! This was my first real success autoguiding.

I know that on PAIG, they have a section for ppl to upload images that they want advice on but might not feel confident enough to put it in the main imaging section. Might be an idea??????

It's called the early learners section.

i do agree that categorising a competition would be very hard to police and would rely on honesty. Unfortunately some ppl will do anything to win so I couldn't see this working. I for instance have only taken about 10 images in my new hobby so consider myself a newb but as stated I could have taken a hundred and yet still consider myself a newb. Not easy to superset something like this.

i guess if you feel confident enough to enter the comp, then you should be prepared to come first or last and take any advice in the manner in which it is given.

I tend to avoid this section as the images are so often totally unobtainable by a newbie like me and with my basic kit and I sometimes feel like giving up! I know that sounds silly, but it would be so nice to have sections for people with basic kit and basic knowledge just to show what can be achieved with persistence. Not everyone can afford an expensive, cooled CCD camera like an Atik!

Alexxx

Looking at the kit in your sig, I woulding consider this basic at all. For me the only way for me to improve is to post images and get critique back otherwise I wont know where I am going wrong. Sure, some of the images posted can be quite daunting to look at but they give me something to aspire to and something to keep me motivated.

Dont be afraid to post your images, however basic you may think they are, you would be surprised.

All very true. Because I'm never satisfied with my pics, I will always consider myself a newb. But it's all relative. What about categorising by camera e.g. DSLR, Webcam and CCD? I know the types of scope vary, but this might be a start? At least it'll separate the CCDs from the DSLRs!

EDIT: as I've just seen Lee's post! I do post my pics and squeeze as much info and advice as I can from the brilliant people on here. They've brought me on further than I thought I could (even though I'm still dissatisfied!) for which I'm eternally grateful.

Edited by Astrosurf

I dont think splitting the board into further sections will be very productive. It would certainly make it difficult for me to decide where to post.

We currently have:

Imaging - Tips, Tricks and Techniques where people can post hints and tips on processing

Imaging - Image Processing, Help and Techniques which is a specific section where you go if you want critique and help to move forward.

The remander of the imaging section is then split into object classification. IMO to split into ability could potentially create a cliquey element to the forum and Im not sure what benefit, splitting into camera type, would have other than to fragment this section of the forum as you would have several places to look if you just wanted to look as DSO's instead of the one we have at present.

People post in the imaging section with all types of kit already so it seems to be working well.

Just jump straight in and be inspired by what you see not afraid.

You're quite right Lee. I didn't think about the cliquey side of things because I'm not that way inclined at all!

As you say, it's best to stay as it is.

I do not see the need for a separate newbie section in imaging. In the few years that I have been member of SGL I have seen many first images posted here. I have never yet seen negative responses. Instead, there are words of encouragement and advice from some of the people posting really great images. That makes SGL a very welcoming place for people posting their stuff. I may be a seasoned observer, but on the imaging side I am not that experienced (bar some planetary stuff). I would have no qualms posting my images here, to get advice on how to improve (and in part to show off ;), of course).

In the past, when there was a POTW, some images from beginners won, simply because they showed what could be done with truly basic kit. FInally, I would say we should not see POTW as a competition, but more as a celebration of the fun things people do.

3 people like this

I'm inclined to agree with Lee. I think people shouldn't feel embarrassed about posting in any section. We're not in competition with one another and I don't think I'd like it if we were. If someone posts an absolute jaw-dropper of an image then I think it's inspiring and it's nice to recognise their skill, but if someone is near the bottom of the learning curve and working hard on their imaging then it's also very positive to be recognised for that and to get encouragement and advice on where to go next.

On a personal level I think my imaging has improved beyond recognition over the last year and that wouldn't have happened without all the guidance, advice, encouragement and feedback I've received as a result of posting images. I now find it rewarding to also be in a better position do the same for others who are taking their first steps. I'm sure I'm far from the only one in the same boat.

So, don't feel embarrassed. Post. Enjoy what you learn. It's a community, not a competition.

James

It's OK, I agree! Many thanks for all your comments guys.

I'm inclined to agree with Lee. I think people shouldn't feel embarrassed about posting in any section. We're not in competition with one another and I don't think I'd like it if we were. If someone posts an absolute jaw-dropper of an image then I think it's inspiring and it's nice to recognise their skill, but if someone is near the bottom of the learning curve and working hard on their imaging then it's also very positive to be recognised for that and to get encouragement and advice on where to go next.

On a personal level I think my imaging has improved beyond recognition over the last year and that wouldn't have happened without all the guidance, advice, encouragement and feedback I've received as a result of posting images. I now find it rewarding to also be in a better position do the same for others who are taking their first steps. I'm sure I'm far from the only one in the same boat.

So, don't feel embarrassed. Post. Enjoy what you learn. It's a community, not a competition.

James

Very well said James.

1 person likes this

I kind of agree with everyone on this post! I suppose being a cat I do like to sit on the fence a lot! :cat:

Sometimes I do look at peoples pictures of nebulae and see what equipment they have used to take those pictures and think: "why would I even bother to take photos as there is no way I could ever take pictures like that because I could never afford that sort of equipment". But then again, I look at some fantastic pictures like the mosaic that Nick Smith posted. It just inspired me so much to think more about imaging the moon and not just taking it for granted or thinking: "damn moon is drowning out everything, no point in setting up tonight!"

I am gradually experimenting with what I have got and learning things from SGL member that are brave enough to post and from the replies/comments. I recently bought a cheap webcam from Tesco (other supermarkets are available :smiley: ) to use in my finderscope as a guide camera. Still a long way to go to get it up and running, but it is a start. I have also just finished a home made bracket that I have screwed onto the back of my scope to hold my Fuji compact so I can take wide field shots; if I ever get a clear night sky again! :clouds2:

So I think I will jump down off of this fence as the splinters are getting into places that they shouldn't and come down on the side of "publish and be damned!" 99.9% of people on here are very nice people who are only too willing to help and give the best advice that they have to offer. I think I can take constructive criticism quite well, although as Alex said of herself; I am my worst critic!

In the end if you don't try you will never learn.

Sorry but the idea and direction of the thread is totally at odds with what POTW was ever about, sorry if you dont get that Alex :/ POTW was never intended or presented as a competition, and neither are the imaging boards, where you will find more help than you will ever need to improve your images, and where there is a dedicated section for constructive critiscism too.

I hear what you say about "always being a newbie", but in all honesty find that a bit irritating and defeatist. Let me tell you about a guy that works for me.

We'll call him Tom. Tom is 28. When Tom was around 20 he was diagnosed with a brain tumour. In the ensuing treatment and operation Tom suffered irreparable brain damage, and a stroke. His family was told he would never walk again. But the doctors didn't factor in Toms determination. Not only has he relearned to walk (with a limp), talk, read, and everything again, he has relearned to drive and refuses to have a disabled badge for his car, though he clearly qualifies for one. Tom has next to no short term memory whatsoever, he has to write down everything important so that he doesn't forget it. He always has a smile, is everyone's friend, yet he lives under the constant shadow of his tumour.

Last year Tom joined a photography group, and has steadily been making progress, taking better and better photographs, because he has the will, the determination, the desire, and the strength of character to get himself to the group, to write down the guidance he gets, and then force his brain to take it into long term memory.

Tom is unlike any other person I have met, and has taught me that rather than whine about not being able to do such and such as well as so and so, if you want something, then get out and do it to the best of your ability, life is too short and too uncertain to be wishy washy or half hearted about things.

I'm not being personal, and i'm not saying you should do this or that, or implying anything negative with your character, so please don't take offence or anything. Sometimes I think everybody should spend a week with Tom....

Cheers

Tim

8 people like this

One of your best posts Tim :smiley:

I miss your signature btw, the one about making every minute 60 seconds worth living, or words to that affect.

I'd like to spend some time with Tom - I have no doubt that he could help me to put my own life and problems into perspective. However, I won't waste his valuable time, I'd rather think of him making better use of his. Thanks for the post, Tim